• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

435 swap behind 200 inline six

kirkallen143

Loc.
Navasota, Texas
When I do this swap (yes I have search and did not see what am asking about), if I use my inline six intermediate housing will I need to exchange the shaft inside to a V8 shaft. Most I know just bought the adapter for the swap. Thank you.

Kirk

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Nope, no exchange necessary. Bigjhoov has a hookup on the adapter too.

It goes in pretty easily (as far as transmissin swaps go) and will bolt right up to your bellhousing, no need to even swap the clutch!

OP
OP
K

kirkallen143

Loc.
Navasota, Texas
Thanks Jason, I have been reading and it looks like if needed, you'd have to cut the yoke nut threads off at the end of the np435 output shaft if it does not mate together (the inline six intermediate housing to the back of the tranny). Only some have had to do this. They say that the spud shaft of the inline six interm. hous. is not cut as deep as the V8's.

No problem there, I have plenty of cut off disks and don't mind the sparks.

Kirk
ps. And I swore I would never get rid of the column shift...that's until I drove one w/ a np435. Tranny w/ a granny!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
When I do this swap (yes I have search and did not see what am asking about), if I use my inline six intermediate housing will I need to exchange the shaft inside to a V8 shaft. Most I know just bought the adapter for the swap. Thank you.

Kirk
I just did this swap on my brother's 1/2 cab...I bought an adapter from someone on this board(dont remember who)-that worked pretty good, still had to do some drilling on one of the holes(didnt line up just right-no biggie). I took both the front/rear drive shafts and swapped the slip yokes(stock lift), I also had to do something with the cross member. A v8 is a perfect swap-but a 6cyl will need the cross member moved back(I think) I ended up making a bracket out of 3 or 4" agle iron and then bracing that up. I just made it longer than the stock one so I could use the stock holes in the frame and move things back some for the c.member. Now, if I want...I could go back to stock in minutes. Clean swap all the same...would do it again,good luck,Chuck

Pete

Loc.
kansas city
hey iam looking to do the same with my eb its a 170 inline three on the tree 3.5 susp lift with a 1BL. I would like to install a np435 Iam trying to find someone who has done this with a 6cy it seems everyone has done it with a v8. Any advice/info would be great thanks.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
hey iam looking to do the same with my eb its a 170 inline three on the tree 3.5 susp lift with a 1BL. I would like to install a np435 Iam trying to find someone who has done this with a 6cy it seems everyone has done it with a v8. Any advice/info would be great thanks.

All the info here applies to the 170 too. The trans will bolt up to the bell housing, clutch, etc. At the back you'll have to have one of the vendor's adapters or the old school adapter plate + your 6 cyl intermediate and spud shaft. Remember you need a 2wd (or divorced case 4x4) trans with a 28 spline output.

Also be aware the 6 cyl 3 speed case is a little shorter than the v8 trans, something like an inch or so difference. You can probably get by with slotting the holes in the trans crossmember brackets. That extra length may make your driveshafts borderline with 3.5" lift.