• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

paint question

yak67

Bronco Guru
do I have these steps right, this is my first attempt at paint....

1. I'm going down to bare metal

2. epoxy prime, do I need to wipe down the bare metal with a degreaser before I apply?

3. prime and block

4. paint

is that pretty much it, any small things I'm leaving out.....any help appreciated.

thanks, Tim

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
That's the cliff notes version but you pretty much have it correct. Yes, you should use degreaser before the epoxy primer. It's just safe insurance and you want to be certain that coat is on their good. If you block sand the high build primer it's always a good idea to wipe the surface clean with a 50/50 mixture of water/alcohol too before spraying any more primer or the top coat. Good luck.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Dont forget to use a tack rag inbetween coats. At least use one before the first coat of paint.

Loc.
Rome, NY
If I may add some questions to this tread. How many coats of primer and finish coats of paint do you apply? What type of finish paint enamel of lacquer or? Will you be also applying clear coat? and buffing? In the intern I will do a search. I will be painting my own at some point in time. This will help immensely

Heus33

Bronco Guru
1957 - another NYer - welcome...

I'm REALLY novice in the paint dept but for a 'regular' paint job (driver quality) - two coats of primer is typical...as for color - thats a bit more complecated - depends on the color that you're using... most can get away with 2 or 3 coats for full coverage...

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
If I may add some questions to this tread. How many coats of primer and finish coats of paint do you apply? What type of finish paint enamel of lacquer or? Will you be also applying clear coat? and buffing? In the intern I will do a search. I will be painting my own at some point in time. This will help immensely

I would not use enamel or lacquer. Urethane (either single stage or base coat/clear coat) is the best way to go. To answer all your painting questions and then some go here. http://www.autobody101.com/forums/
It's got more information than you could ever think of about painting.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
do I have these steps right, this is my first attempt at paint....

1. I'm going down to bare metal

Finish bare metal/body work off with 180. Anything coarser can "possibly" shrink in and a month or more later you might see the 80 grit scratches. Check for pin holes in the filler work and apply bodyfiller with a razor blade to fill them.

2. epoxy prime, do I need to wipe down the bare metal with a degreaser before I apply?

Yes degreaser is a good idea! Put a coat or 2 just on your bodywork and then 2 more coats on the whole Bronco (if in bare metal)

3. prime and block

Start by blocking with coarse paper (320) then guide coat again. Sand with 600 and spot prime the areas you went thru to metal or filler. Sand those areas again with 600. Use a red sctochbrite scuff pad on the whole Bronco. Blow off, degrease, tack it off. Then paint!

4. paint

is that pretty much it, any small things I'm leaving out.....any help appreciated.

thanks, Tim
Reply within above.......
Someday I'll do a how to paint write up for Classic Bronco's. Maybe if/when I paint my Bronco. At least my dash is painted;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I sold Dupont paint for 30 years ...I like the single stage urithane best but I'm not up to the newest to me clear coats are not for our Broncos unless it show ...the hardest thing about painting in my opion is getting it clean ...getting the dust out of the pours so the paint doesn't peel ....
So I say when you sand ..sand with water so you can flush it clean ...then wash it off ...then blow dry and then tack clean ....
I used to go see problems at body shops ....Not clean enough ..Not etched correctly .... Residu left on bare metal ...primer not clean ...and the window of time between coats not correct..I like 2 part primer but you have to top coat in the correct window of time ...At least most of it you do ...