• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI

6daze

OK, scored the Explorer upper, lower, alternator, PS pump, A/C pump and brackets at the pic-a-part. Should I be using the Stang throttle body and MAF? The explorer TB is definately bigger but will it and the MAF talk to the Stang computer? Also, I couldn't get the water pump, crank pulley or timing cover. Will these come on the crate motor?

Thanks,
Mark

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
The water pump, timing cover and harmonic balancer are all proprietary to the explorer. You will need to source those parts for it to work. As for the electrical side, I'm not 100% positive, but I think you will need mustang sensors and TB as well. This is the route I went, and am tieing it all together with a cleaned up mustang harness, injector harness and fuel rail.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,amazing you found 5.0 explorer stuff at the self serve yard,,,,,I believe lars here used the explorer 65mm throttle body with some mods,,, I don't think any of the crate motors come with the explorer stuff now ,, the aluminum headed 5.0's with the Y heads(maybe some X head motors also) produced around 2000 to a couple few years ago had the explorer stuff,,,, I've seen brand new explorer/94-95 mustang timing covers on e-bay for 48 bucks latley,, then new take off explorer 5.0balancer/pulleys for only $25,,, new water pumps are about $50 or less brand new

Attachments

• Bottom Of Motor-2.JPG
    Bottom Of Motor-2.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
6daze

6daze

Thanks guys, I have been following everyone's explorer threads here for a while...I couldn't believe it either. I was literally standing there when the forklift put it down...It looked to be in a minor front end collision and was very complete. I took all that engine stuff asap. I came back for more 3 days later and the entire engine, trans and interior were gone! I just lucked out!...I thought people were using the explorer manifolds with the stang stuff to squeeze a few more horses out of the motor?...I also heard the explorer timing cover was coming on crate motors and the stang guys were taking them off to put stang stuff on?

Thanks again,
Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the EFI stuff,

The 65mm throttle body will be fine.
Do NOT use the Explorer MAF unless you get a tweeker or other custom chip to adjust the MAF transfer table in the ECM to match the output of the Explorer MAF.

The number one rule on EFI, the MAF, ECM (programming) and injectors must all match. Page 114-116 of the 2007 Ford Motorsports catalog gives good info on EFI and how the Ford EFI works.

flousberg

I used the explorer throttle body but used the mustang MAF because of what people said on this board. I still need want to run the test with the explorer MAF though and figure out how to use it.

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

SO.....
stang MAF.....Stang TB.....Explorer upper....explorer lower? Do I need the EGR blockoff plate if I am not using EGR?

Also I found a Stang computer yesterday so I plan on running that. No problems?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
SO.....
stang MAF.....Stang TB.....Explorer upper....explorer lower? Do I need the EGR blockoff plate if I am not using EGR?

Also I found a Stang computer yesterday so I plan on running that. No problems?

Stang MAF, yes
Stang TB is fine and the Exploder will work as well, maybe different wires/TPS/cable attachment. (more below)
Exploder upper, yes
Exploder lower, yes (for a 5.0/302). Not for a 351
EGR block off, this depends. What year are the intakes?
Early intakes with internal EGR will need one to block the open EGR.
Later intakes with external EGR do not need one. There is no exhaust port to block. You can remove the elbow and bolt the throttle body directly to the upper intake. You may still choose to run an EGR elimanator for no other reason then to mount a mustang style throttle cable. If you do a mustang style throttle cable I recomend a mustang throttle body as the pivot is in the right spot.

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

I didn't get the Explorer TB because I wasn't sure it could "talk" to the Stang computer. At very least I thought the wire connections were different. Anyways it is not a option for me now but let us know if it works...

flousberg

It works, but you do have to have a pig tail for the connection. I have been running it since i put EFI on.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I run the explorer upper and lower on my 89 5.0 with the 65mm explorer TB as well. The thing with the explorer TB is that you need to modify the accelerator linkage connection by using the mustang TB linkage on the explorer TB. Lars came up with this idea and I did it on my EB and it works great and takes just a few minutes to do, course you have to have both a Mustang TB and an explorer TB as well.

Ben

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thought I'd add :
For those wanting to do the "Lars Conversion" ,
The mustang TB's can be had for $5+s&h (without the tps in them) on ebay.