• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

h20 in the earl

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
Well i finally got my motor in and broke in so i go to change the oil...u guessed it water....intake has got to come of and reseall...its a performer 289...how do i get all the water out of the manifold b4 i pull it off and are there any tips to sealing this thing up right...yes i used rtv around the water jackets

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you already have water in the oil, a little extra from the manifold removal isn't going to hurt anything.
I don't like excess either though, so you might try blowing some compressed air in through a heater hose or other port to get more of it out.
Or in a pinch you could use some very absorbent cloth type paper towels to soak it up through the thermostat housing. Takes some time, but should work.

Then any left over is minimal.
Hope you find the leak.

Paul

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
What intake gasket did you use??? I like the Fel Pro Printoseal gaskets. I think the right part number is 1250

I allways dry fit the intake and gaskets to make sure everything lines up. I first make sure the gasket lines up around all the ports, then I mark the head with a sharpie on the top edge of the gasket. Now lower the intake onto the heads, making sure the gasket stays in the same place. Once the Manifold is on I take a sharpie and mark the gasket on the edge of the manifold. Then you can remove the intake, and the gaskets. The marks you make will then tell you if the gasket lines up to the underside of the intake.

I allways put a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Grey around all 4 water ports on the heads. Then I place the gasket onto the head and put a thin coat on the gasket around all 4 ports on the intake side of the gaskets.

Finally how did you torque the intake down, and did you use new bolts or studs? Allways torque in this sequence.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 11

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Compressed air will blow it all away...........................

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well i finally got my motor in and broke in so i go to change the oil...u guessed it water....intake has got to come of and reseall...its a performer 289...how do i get all the water out of the manifold b4 i pull it off and are there any tips to sealing this thing up right...yes i used rtv around the water jackets

Pull the drain plugs on either side of the block, that should get most of the coolant out...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thinking about all this, are you sure that it's an intake manifold issue? It could be a cracked block or a problem with the front cover too. Head gaskets, intake gaskets, blocks, panels, seals, you name it.

Hopefully it's just the manifold though. That's probably the easiest to fix.

In theory at least...

Paul

OP
OP
AU Bronco

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
Man i wish you hadnt said that...i think this is the issue...i only put rtv on the manifold side so that could be the problem...i followed the torque specs and sequence using the original bolts...however i didnt have washer under neath them and they ate into the metal until it reached the right torque...the next day i replaced on bolt at a time and put washers under them....im sure this is part of the problem...my first rebuild so im learning from my mistakes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good call AU. It's definitely possible that changing out one at a time could have caused, or exaggerated, the problem.
On the surface, doing them one at a time makes sense, but manifolds can be finnicky sometimes.
As you're learning...

Have fun anyway. Let us know how it goes.

Paul

OP
OP
AU Bronco

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
no such luck...took it for a test drive and then oil started coming out where the dipstick screws in...milky....again....i guess im goin to start with the timing cover and hope thats where its getting in there from....is there any way to test to see where the leak is without tearin everything off?