• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welds on chassis

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I was looking at the factory welds on the chassis of my 76 and was amazed at how rough they are. The welds all over the frame are consistantly rough. There even appears to be slag on some of them. Is this pretty standard for the time period?

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
I used a grider to clean up the slag and crappy welds that were on my '77.It looks alot better.I was disappointed in ford for letting this pass quality control.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Yep... mine are rough too. I saw all of my frame in great detail today for the first time.... today was POR-15 day! :cool:

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I will be doing that next weekend.

That's cool... everything went pretty smooth on mine.

Here's where I ended up today :cool:
Bronco-Chassis-56.jpg

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Gotta love a freshly painted Bronco frame, it truly is attractive, kinda sexy with some curves and all.

PS I love your custom tie rod ;)

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I think the "new guy" did all the welding on my frame. At first I started to think my frame had some major R&R done, but I've since realized that they are all like this.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those tires bring back some good memories. Funny, but those good 'ol Sears Road-Handler radials were a great dual-purpose tire. Great on the street, and great on the rocks and dirt and snow.
I'm sure they were pretty bad in the mud, but I don't play there much. Seems to me they were made by Michelin. Do yours say Sears or Michelin, or something else, on them 1975stroppe?

Paul

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Those tires bring back some good memories. Funny, but those good 'ol Sears Road-Handler radials were a great dual-purpose tire. Great on the street, and great on the rocks and dirt and snow.
I'm sure they were pretty bad in the mud, but I don't play there much. Seems to me they were made by Michelin. Do yours say Sears or Michelin, or something else, on them 1975stroppe?

Paul

Yeah, my Dad and my uncle both ran those tires for a long time. Mine say SEARS on them and Road Handler Radial A-T in the raised white letters. Definitely a recognizable tread pattern :cool:

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
You think we have bad welds? Check out Jeep CJ's. Alot of them look like a little 50 amp no penetration piece of rope laying on the frame. Ive even seen one were the weld missed by 1/2" and wasnt even keeping the frame together. We pulled the motor out and the frame spread apart.

Ours are boogered but at least they hold. :p

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I actually find the booger welds to be very accomodating. They make MY welds look factory. Keeps people wondering if Broncos came with 4 doors, shock hoops, or any of the other things I've added.%) ;D

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I actually found a peice of Welding wire on mine. It was twice the size of an .035 wire (.035 is pretty standard wire) It looked to be a flux wire. That would explain the crappy welds. I dont understand why the wouldnt use a sheilding gas.