• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speedy sleeve for 9" axles

adambuddell007

Loc.
Reedley,California
Anyone ever use a speedy sleeve to fix a worn 9" sm bearing axle. Mine has a groove on the area that the seal rides on and it leaks. A part # or size specs would be great. I know they make them for harmonic balancers but havent seen them used for anything else. If not I need the spec on the dia. of the shaft at the bearing so I can take a set of big bearing shafts down to the mach. shop and have them milled down. Thanks--

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Download a catalog here. You will need to follow their procedures to measure. You might want to post your resulting part number as I don't think anyone has posted it yet. I believe you will need to replace your bearings because they will be pressed off...don't try to re-use them....not sure though.
http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/speedi_sleeves.htm

Good luck! I've heard they work great!
Mike

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
I used one on my pinion shaft. It had grooves worn in it where the seal had rubbed for 35 years. I don't know the size I used, I had a buddy at a machine shop press it on for me. Fixed the leak though.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have used them on axle bearing surfaces in the past. I have no idea of what you will need, but I have probably used the speedy sleeve on three or four applications over about 30 years of getting dirty.

I have no problems with them other than get the right size and remember you can destroy them very easily when installing. I do believe they are pricey if my memory serves me correctly.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Havent used one on an axle but have welded the groove in a yoke and machienist re sized and sufaced hasnt leaked yet....he charged me $20...great machinist and loves broncos might not get just anyone to do that for you, but never know!

frdbronco73

I have been using speedy sleeves at work for years and never had a problem. When you slide your yoke back in make sure you don't tear up the seal, be gentle. CJ

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have 2 speedi-sleeves on my Bronco, 9" pinion yoke and D20 yoke. The 9" sleeve has been on for 18 years. No leaks from either.