• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

exhaust question - duals to super single

bannind

Now that the bronco is running again the wife is complaining about having 'residue' on her car after I start the bronco at times..

289/NP435 - I currently have dual's with 2 cherry bomb turbo mufflers, 2 1/4" throughout and a crossover infront of the mufflers.

How much of a performance hit will I take if I have them simply put an elbow in on the drivers side where it connects to the crossover pipe, instead of the T that is currently in place. Then I would remove the entire remainder of the setup from the drivers side. I would then also put a turndown on the passenger side.

I was planning on going to a super single eventually but I am looking for the cheapest way to make the wife happy at the moment. How much power loss/performance degridation am I looking at if I do this?

thanks,
dan

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I actually got better bottom end when I switched out my duals for a super single. I doubt you'll notice any power loss. I also woudn't reccomend a turndown underneath or behind unless you always run a well sealed hardtop. You'll get fumes in the cab unless you go out the side. If you wife doesn't like residue on the car you can still do a turn down out the side, (I assume that's what you meant) but antime the outlet is underneath or behing the bronco you'll get fumes.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

I should have been more specific. both sides currently exit past the rear corners. I just wanted to do the turndown on the passenger side so my side of the garage didn't turn black.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
You probably wont notice any power loss at all, unless you race it on a regular basis. That 289 doesn't put out enough volume to really need a full dual set up except in very high RPMs.

I don't like turn downs because of the fumes and the resonance they usualy produce. However, they are usually right after the mufflers and uner the truck. I think if you put the turn down out to the side, you might not have those issues. However, I think you'll still get residue / soot issues just because of the close proximity of the pipe to the wall or wifes car. Why don't you just put something on the wall there where the pipe exists? You can get one of those painted thin steel plates from Lowes or Home Depot that are menat to go behind your stove/range on the wall. As it gets dirty you can just wipe it off.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've had duals on all my trucks and just did a super single on my 74. Way, way better than the duals. Frees up tons of room underneath the truck and the power band seems better.
I'm going to change the exhaust on my big bronco too when it comes time to replace the mufflers.