• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake dragging...help!

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Memorial weekend I did a little wheeling down at D-day OKlahoma. Half way through the trip I notice my right rear drum sounded like the brake was dragging. I tried to go through the days events before I noticed the sound, and all I could think of was that at one time I did set the emergency brake just to see if it would hold (which it did not seem to very well). I tried to get the drum off in camp with no luck. So tonight I pulled it in the shop and tried to remove the drum to see what was goin on. I have beat,pulled, cussed, and everthing else I can think of and can not get the drum to budge. I did try adjusting them with the access hole on the drum, no luck. I also checked the emergency cable and they seem loose. I even had a big screw driver in far enough that I could pry one side out and it still will not come of. Any suggestions to get this damn stubborn drum off?:mad:

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Sounds as if it is stuck on the axle or the shoes are not releasing. If it is the axle,spray wd-40 around it and pry it as you did before and rap the center of the axle. If it is the shoes, you could try opening the bleeder valve. I had a rubber brake line once that looked good form the outside, but was messed up on the inside and not release the pressure. If that doesn't work, you can cut the heads of the pins on the back of the backing plate the hold the hold down springs for the shoes. One of these should work.