• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering: what do I have? What do I need?

MattM

Loc.
Missoula, MT
The PO gave me this power steering setup when I bought the truck. At the time, I didn’t notice it wasn’t off an EB (probably the reason it wasn’t installed).

What is it off of? Is this a Saginaw pump? I just bought a stock 4-turn gearbox from a fellow CB member. Can I use the pump I have? Is this a big block bracket?

What do I need to purchase to put it all together?
Do I need a new pump bracket?
Do I need a new tension adjust bracket?
Do I need new hoses?
Do I need a new steering shaft?

I have a ’72 Sport with a 302. It doesn’t have a lift. All the manual steering stuff is there.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• PS1.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PS3.jpg
    PS3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 17
  • PS4.jpg
    PS4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PS5.jpg
    PS5.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 15
  • PS6.jpg
    PS6.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 18

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
The pump looks just like the one I tore off my rig yesterday. It's not a saginaw and I think (could be wrong) it's a ford unit they used on bronco IIs or something. If it's like mine, it'll whine and groan and barely work.

I would suggest (based on the wisdom I found here on the boards) that you get a saginaw pump (with dual lines if you ever want to go to hydroboost brakes). The WH or Tom's or BC brackets all work. I just bought the whole Tom's master PS kit because mine is a daily driver and I'm trying to replace everything with new.

Not sure about the steering box or shaft.

Good Luck!

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
just put it on three months ago.. pm me, i can give ya all the info on it

3.jpg

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have a ’72 Sport with a 302. It doesn’t have a lift.
The PS box looks like a 70's F100 2WD box. This is the box I used for my PS conversion. It hangs down about 2 1/2" lower than the stock Bronco box, and, therefore, requires at least a 2 1/2" suspension lift.

It is a popular conversion. Look at Wild Horses online catalog for more information. I did mine 6 or so years ago. Works just fine.