• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI intermittent stalling...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I bought one of those Pro Comp HEI distributors on Ebay for my Windsor and have had really good luck with it ever since I put it on over three years ago. However, just recently the ignition has started to mysteriously stall intermittently while running down the road, and then fix itself after a second or two. It's been happening more and more frequetly lately. Ive heard that HEI isn't the greatest for high RPM's, but this has been at all speeds usually starting around 30 mph. At first it only did it when the engine was warm, so I tested both the ignition module and the coil and they both checked good. However, Isince I heard that these parts might start to faulter when they get hot, I replaced them anyway. No difference. It still does the same thing. As a matter of fact, the truck doesn't even need to be all that warm anymore when it starts acting up. I've already checked for loose wires and everything looks good and tight. I don't know if it helps, but another reason I believe it to be the ignition is that when ever the "stall" lasts for more than a second, I can start to smell the faint aroma of raw gas like when the engine is flooded. I figure that to be raw gas pushed out tailpipes becasue it didn't get ignited in the cylinders. Any ideas welcome.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd lean towards a wiring problem since you've already replaced the module and coil. Check the grounds make sure they are clean and tight and recheck the wiring might want to consider the ignition switch itself could be worn to the point that its loosing contact at times. Also dont rule out a carb problem as you really should smell gas real strong with just a 1 second ignition malfunction. Might have a piece of dirt in the carb that is causing intermitant flooding.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I checked the grounds and they are good, clean and tight. And I guess a carb rebuild couldn't hurt. It's a relatively new Edelbrock 750 leaned one stage down. Not sure if it's related or not, but sometimes the starter will keep cranking after the ignition key has returned to the "start" position. Also, sometimes the engine will keep running after the ignition key has been switched to the "off" position. Sometimes the starter won't do anything when the ignition key is turned at all. I was having these problems a few weeks ago but thought I had fixed it. So far it's got a new ignition lock cylinder, new ignition switch, new starter relay, new starter, new battery cables, and new voltage regulator. The fuse box looks good too. The only thing left I think is a new wiring harness. Should I just replace it or are there any other things I should try first?

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yep sounds like its time for new wiring with those kinds of problems. Be careful driving it as those wires could cause a fire. I would try a new starter relay(solenoid) first though as they are cheap and cheaply made these days so even a new one can be bad. Make sure the relay has a good ground its usually grounded throught the mount

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Yep sounds like its time for new wiring with those kinds of problems. Be careful driving it as those wires could cause a fire. I would try a new starter relay(solenoid) first though as they are cheap and cheaply made these days so even a new one can be bad. Make sure the relay has a good ground its usually grounded throught the mount

I know what you mean about bad new parts. The first thing I replaced WAS the starter relay. Then after the other stuff didn't fix it, it turned out the new starter relay was bad. I doubt that it would happen again. But then again, my luck lately has been for crud. As far as the mounting goes, I got a wire brush and pretty much scraped away at the fender until it was shiny, clean metal, so I'm pretty sure it's got a good ground. I'll start looking into getting a new wiring harness for it. What brand and set-up should I look for? I'm not running a whole lot of extra stuff on it.