• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Bronco rolls when I put it into park...

jkransbottom

Loc.
Stallings, NC
Not all the time but I've noticed on a few occasions recently that it seems to be slipping when in Park. Especially if I'm on a very mild incline with the nose pointed down hill. Is this a problem requiring rebuilding the column shifter or a transmission adjustment issue? Also, sometimes it won't start in the parked position unless I push the shift lever toward the dash. Sometimes even then it won't start and I have to put it in neutral, which I'm guessing is the neutral safety switch? Your advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Sounds like a linkage problem. Probably worn bushings. It could be anywhere between the shifter and the tranny but based on the description I would suspect it's in the shifter itself.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Check your linkage first and if it's not that it's probably a broken parking pawl in your transmission. That would be bad because the tranny has to come out and be disassembled to replace it. C4's are notorious for this. Your occassional starting issue sounds like it might just need the linkage adjusted, which is an easy do it yourself job

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Your NSW is out of adjustment as far as starting. IIRC you have to put it in N and insert a paper clip into the hole in the side of it and rotate the NWS until the clip goes into both holes.
As far as rolling, what kind of rear? My detroits have alot of slop and they always roll a few inches.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Be careful with that, if it's the parking pawl thats bad your truck has the ability to back itself up and hurt someone or total the truck. I lost an EB that was awhile back.

Ben