• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Streched the rear 8" now I need fender trim advice

23firefly

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/23firefly/IMG_2136.jpg

So I streched my bronco 8" in the rear by relocating the spring hangers, now I need some advise before I strart triming the rear fenders.
Right now I have 33" but will be going 37 or 38 here soon so the wheelwells will be designed for the bigger tires.

Does anyone have a good system for planing the cuts? I will be using the plasma cutter so cutting won't be a problem, just want to make sure I cut it the best way.

Any thoughts?

Here is a rig that is done the way I'd like to end up.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/23firefly/Bronco_restoration_095.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

23firefly

I'm just thinking that maybe I should buy the Warflares from Wildhorses and match them to the lines I cut. I'm worried that if I make the cuts before getting the flares, that they won't match up.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Careful with the plasma cutter, i have warped sheet pretty bad before with mine, lucky it wasn't anything important. Go with a jigsaw or cutoff wheel., Just my .02.

Grant

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I moved my rear back 8 1/2" and after putting one warflare on I have decided to go flareless. Most likely I will use some sort of 3/8 brakeline or something similar tacked into place to give it a finished look, but I really like the flareless look. In that 2nd pic you posted, the flare ends are sticking out and even when they are trimmed they wont look *finished*. The rear flares dont line up with the body lines if you are running large tires and have done some cutting. So, ya might consider going flareless unless its one of those bronco things, where its GOTTA have em :)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Make some templates out of cardboard for wheel openings, tape them up, and decide from there.

Refrigerator boxes are you friend...

Watch your rear tire getting into the tail light post at stuff, especially when you go to bigger shoes.

Flares, unless required by your state, are a waste on a trail vehicle. If you want a finished edge, look for some edge welting from a body shop supply. I found some, and saved the link, but it's at home.

psbronco

Loc.
Ft. Collins CO
I don't know if you had original flares on your bronco before you stretched but how I did it was to use the old fiberglass flare as my guide to make my cuts. Here are a few pics of mine be before and after, I only moved the rear back about 6" and with 37" tires I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut more as there is very little clearance between the tire and the tail light post

Attachments

• RearFenderBefore.jpg
    RearFenderBefore.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 113
  • RearFenderAfter.jpg
    RearFenderAfter.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP

23firefly

Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to order the flares first and use them as a template. I like the way some of your rigs ended up and hope i can make mine look as good.

Corey in Chico Ca

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
Cut it the size/shape you want and then bend a lip in the edge. Its free... you just need to start out with some pliers and once started use a body hammer and dolly. :)

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 121

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Just curious how you went 8" back with leafs? I went 5" back and only had 1" left of the frame onthe shackle. Did you add length the rear frame rails?

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
I went back 6" and did a shackle flip. The rear hangers are 5" from the end of the frame. I filled in the opening on the frame horns with some 3/16" plate but the hanger is short of it. Here's a picture from today. It shows a little better how the flares are mounted. The rear bumper isn't bolted up so it's leaning back.

Attachments

• Bronco restoration 006.jpg
    Bronco restoration 006.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Bronco restoration 008.jpg
    Bronco restoration 008.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Bronco restoration 005.jpg
    Bronco restoration 005.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 154

Projp

This is moved back 7.5".
Things cleared running 37's.
Trimmed Warflares.

Attachments

• axle 8.jpg
    axle 8.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 98
  • axle 6.jpg
    axle 6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 86
  • axle 5.jpg
    axle 5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 88
  • axle 4.jpg
    axle 4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 94
  • axle 3.jpg
    axle 3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 62
  • Axle 7.jpg
    Axle 7.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP

23firefly

IMG_2140.jpg

This pic shows the frame extention and the re-enforcment plate I welded on the frame, then the spring hanger on top of that. Extened the frame 5 inchs.

IMG_2139.jpg

Here is anouther shot panning out.

I plan to fab a rear bumper that will also serve as a cross member.

hobzbronc

Loc.
Colusa, CA
I went back 6" and did a shackle flip. The rear hangers are 5" from the end of the frame. I filled in the opening on the frame horns with some 3/16" plate but the hanger is short of it. Here's a picture from today. It shows a little better how the flares are mounted. The rear bumper isn't bolted up so it's leaning back.

im getting ready to do the same. what springs are you running? and do you have a pic of the shackle set up? very nice rig you have. good job
chris

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
im getting ready to do the same. what springs are you running? and do you have a pic of the shackle set up? very nice rig you have. good job
chris

Thanks. I was running some worn out 4 1/2" leafs but after adding a bunch of weight to the cage my rear was too low. Thanks to Crawlin68 a used set of 5 1/2" springs got it back to level. The fuel, water tanks and cooler are empty but will add almost 150#s so I'll be making some longer shackles and lowering the front leaf mounts to keep the pinion angle right. I'm out of town for a few days but will get pics when I get back.

23Firefly. Nice work on the frame extensions. Are you going to move the tank?

hobzbronc

Loc.
Colusa, CA
did you guys have to notch your gas tanks for this. i was measuring mine and not sure if this will need to be done. i have a 22 gal rear tank.
rokdwlr i would like to see your rear shackle set up if possible. a fab guy and i where looking at the 5 1/2" springs i have and he thinks we would have to use smaller ones? it would be good to be able to use the 5 1/2" like you did if we can.
thanks
chris