• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harbor Freight welder

jn2630

Loc.
Silverthorne, CO
I bought a 90 amp flux core harbor freight welder today. I have never welded before so I thought I would practice before digging into the bronco. I couldn't get any of my welds to stick. I need some pointers on plug welding and butt welding. What gauge steel will work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
I don't know anything about that welder. How thick was the steel that you tried to weld? Go to the forums at www.weldingweb.com Post some pics there. They'll be able to get you started in the right direction.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I bought and Hobart 140 and used flux to start and then bought a bottle and there is difference in daylight and dark as to how they weld.
If you have never welded, it could be a good way to learn, but when you start welding that shows, use gas.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
There is nothing wrong with using flux core. It will actually get better penetration than the same welder will with gas. (Check the suggested thickness for each type inside your welder) Flux core spatters more though so the welds don't look as pretty.

As to the particular welder that is in question a 90 amp welder isn't going to be good for much beyond sheetmetal or thin steel. (1/8" or less probably) For anything larger your going to need a bigger welder.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I bought a Lincoln 140 Welder and welded some 18-22 gauge body panels just fine with flux core. You have to be sure the amperage gets way down. Since it was my first welder I read the book then practiced on some scrap pieces to get a satisfactory feel for the process. I know mig (gas) lays a better weld but I was satisfied with the outcome.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
flux core welders don't even make good boat ancors

:D :D :D Thats about it. You will need to read on the different typ of wires and flux to use. The low cost welders are a PIA most times good luck with yours.:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

norcal67

Loc.
state of jefferson
I bought a 90 amp flux core harbor freight welder today. I have never welded before so I thought I would practice before digging into the bronco. I couldn't get any of my welds to stick. I need some pointers on plug welding and butt welding. What gauge steel will work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you really want to learn more about welding a lot of junior collages have welding classes. The instructors are usely vary open to answering questions to non students. Or you can take a class and learn more then you will need with that welder.

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
there is not a damn thing wrong with flux core as long as you are using good wire> you may find that your wire sucks. I use some lincoln flux core wire in my 110 lincoln and it does great just practice and read your stuff and you should be good. Check your ground and make sure your surface is clean.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
there is not a damn thing wrong with flux core as long as you are using good wire> you may find that your wire sucks. I use some lincoln flux core wire in my 110 lincoln and it does great just practice and read your stuff and you should be good. Check your ground and make sure your surface is clean.

You are right, but you are using a LINCOLN not a Harbor Freight.Big difference. If cost is a issue I would recomend taking the Harbor freight back and getting a standard lincoln Arc (stick) welder at Home depot or Lowes. Also make sure you have at least a 20 amp breaker in your fuse box. You need ample power to run a mig. I recomend an arc welder because they are cheap and once you learn to stick weld everything else is a peice of cake.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have used a no brand wire feed. They are not the greatest. But if you learn to weld with that, then when you get your hands on a good welder you will feel like a pro.

The biggest factor I have found on the 110V low buck welders is to run no extension cord and plug them into a good wall outlet. The voltage drop on an extension cord will make the welder pratically unusable. Same goes for a poor outlet. Plug a normal light bulb into the same outlet as the welder, if it goes very dim when trying to weld, there is too much voltage drop at that outlet.

Flux core is usable wire. Not the most desirable for pretty things, but has it's place. I recently burned a spool up doing horse corrals, ropping boxes and shades at the uncles house. didn't need to be the prettiest and welds better when outside (shielding gas doesn't blow away in the breeze)

Another thing, make sure that you are trying to weld steel to steel. That welder won't weld aluminium.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
the cheap 110 volt welders are just that. Spend a few more dollars on a name brand unit and it will pay for itself in no time. Plan on spending $500-1000 for a good wire feed 120 or 240 volt. I have a good lincoln 120v wire feed that the iron workers on the job recommended and use daily. It was like $750 complete with the bottle. I've been using it for about 10 years making roll bars, bumpers, and many other bronco and household repairs. It's a 20 amp unit but they told me to put it on a 30 amp breaker with the correct wiring and that's how I run it at home. I wanted the 120 volt so I could take to work and plug it in anywhere.