• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Locker Questions

COBronco2007

Loc.
Milliken, CO
I'm going to show how much of a rookie I am here but some help on lockers would be great.
I've been wheeling for about 4 years now and still have not locked the rear of my rig but I think I'm ready to take that step.....
I've been looking at the Ford 9" trac-lok carrier. Is this product any good or should I spend more on detroit?
Is the install of a carrier like this pretty strait forward or would I need someone to install it for me. Thanks!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I don't know if you have seen it yet or not, but Saddleup did a good write-up on lockers here:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86600

I would say that what locker you choose really depends on what you want out of your vehicle. I wanted good flexibility so that I could drive on the street in ice and snow, and be fully locked on the trails. So, I saved the coin and put in ARB's. But, you might not have the same wishes.

As far as the install of the carrier, no it isn't a straightforward process. But, if you do your research, get the proper tools, get some good advice, and take your time - it isn't horrible to do. I did both of mine, never having done one before.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p My 2 cents worth a D/locker is the way to go put it in and forget it just go have fun. I have been running one over 30 years and never a problem with it. I only run 33" tires 351W and a top loader 4 speed. I dont like the ones with air or electrical as to much to go wrong and the old cluch typ need to be replaced every 2 or 3 years if you realey use them. Good luck with your choice.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I've been running a detroit for the last 7 years, 90% road 10% trail and I've finally had enough so I went ARB. I'm not a big fan of the way the detroit locks and unlocks on the street in a short wheelbase vehical with a manual tranny. If I had an auto or it was in a longer wheelbase vehical, maybe I wouldn't mind so much. One downfall to a detroit is that they have been known to explode when you break an axle.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm going to show how much of a rookie I am here but some help on lockers would be great.
I've been wheeling for about 4 years now and still have not locked the rear of my rig but I think I'm ready to take that step.....
I've been looking at the Ford 9" trac-lok carrier. Is this product any good or should I spend more on detroit?
Is the install of a carrier like this pretty strait forward or would I need someone to install it for me. Thanks!

The Trac Lok is a limited slip unit rather than a locker. I think the article I put together in the link above covers most of the details between the choices.

On the install:
If your just installing the carrier and not changing the gears then the install isn't too bad. You still need to set backlash and preload plus a pattern check but the 9" makes this easy since it uses nuts in the ends for doing this rather than shims under bearings. On a scale of 1-10 on difficulty I would put it as about a 6 since it does need close attention to detail but it isn't extremely difficult. If you buy the carrier new then it should include instructions.

Sevrlyph

Loc.
Tucson
I just tore apart both my axles, never having done this before. I put a Detroit Locker in the rear and a PowerTrax NoSlip in the D30. I did not replace my gears, so I never had to touch the pinion gear. I spent about $16 at harbor freight on a magnetic dial indicator to measure the backlash. A local differential shop told me to just hand tighten the bearing caps and tighten the adjusters so that they are snug but there is really no preload on the bearings. Adjust to get a backlash of 0.010. Once backlash is achieved then tighten the adjusters about two holes each to get proper preload. I did this by alternating adjustment on each adjuster by about 1/2 a hole at a time. Once this is done I measure backlash again to make sure it was ok. Then torque the bearing caps to spec and remeasure the backlash. After torque the backlash changed by 0.001. Then I used gear marking compound to verify the pattern was ok. Then put in the locks on the adjusters and you are done. It did not take that long and everthing went together real easily.

This weekend I put the front axles back in and get it back on the road. Hopefully nothing explodes on me.

OP
OP
C

COBronco2007

Loc.
Milliken, CO
This is all great info! I only drive the rig when going to the trail or just on a short trip so a detroit would probably fit me fine.
I'm not touching the gears at this point so I'll probably attempt the install myself. thanks again!

doran4x

Contributor
If you are on the trail most of the time go with the Detroit. I have them in front and rear and I don't have to worry if they are engaged or not. The ARB can break at any time and it is usually when you need it most. Detroit is always on all the time. On the street it handles just fine.

Tom:cool:

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Detroit lockers SUCK. Locking and unlocking, pushing the bronco into other lanes, etc. I went to a spool on mine due to how much I hated my detroit, and love it. I dont do ALOT of driving in the winter on icy roads, but when I do, it hasnt been a problem. I would go with ARB for a daily driver though. Predictable and easy to use, and the whole hoo-ha about them being undependable is WAY overrated.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW,
I disagree about the ARB breaking at any time. As long as it is set up properly then it is a stronger setup than the Detroit. The only issues to be concerned about with the ARB will be blowing out the seals (from applying too much pressure to it) and the air supply itself. The Detroit is known to be subject to breaking when an axle or hub breaks. (I've had one do so which automatically gives me a low opinion of them) Don't get me wrong though. I think the Detroit is still the best choice when funds put the ARB beyond reach.

I agree that the claim that they are undependable is overrated. I've been running one in the front for 2 1/2 years or so now and it has always worked for me (As long as I didn't forget to turn the CO2 on). It's been dependable enough that I put one in the rear as well now.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for going from an open diff to a posi, it is only a slight improvment. When you go fully locked (detroit, ARB, whatever) that is such an improvment that it can be hard to describe.

I have had rigs with open diffs. I have had them with factory posis that only did slightly better. After the locker I can go places in 2WD that were hard to nearly impossible with posis at both ends.

I don't like spools unless it is a full trail only rig.
Detroits are usually very streetable.
Selectable is sweet if you can fork over the $$$

As with anything you often get what you pay for and it's a 4WD, we can figure out how to break any part of your truck if we try hard enough, abuse it, neglect it and/or don't put it in right, etc.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Check out a full spool or a mini spool. If you only take this to the trail and short trips around town on occasion - these are the cheapest locker you can get. They don't engage and disengage and your tires will wear faster, but it is very cheap. I am doing some fairly serious trails with my mini-spool and 31spline axles and so far no problems. I also ran a mini on 28spline factory axles with 33x14.50's and didn't have any problems.

Then you can save your money for a front locker as well. That's where I'd look into a selectable locker, however I don't notice my Lock-Rite when in 2WD.

Ask specific questions if you have any. Someone on here has ran every setup there is.

J.D.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I pretty much agree with all that was said about detroits vs ARB's, but I will add one more thing. With a selectable, you are locked as a spool when engaged. Not normally a big problem, but when you are at full steering lock, the only thing that can give are the tires. If they dont, something else will.

A detroit will "relieve" itself of stress between the tires if it needs to, even under high load. The first time you hear it, it scares the crap out of you and sounds like 3 axle shafts just exploded, but it does do it. That is one benefit I do see over an ARB in a front axle application.

Otherwsie, the ARB wins on all other counts except both my buddies have had airline related problems (here and there) and they both had taken took extensive time/pre-cautions upon setting up everything.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Expanding on the above post re. ARB's spooled in front. This is correct. An ARB is fully spooled when it is locked. This makes them different to use because it is almost impossible to turn the front tires if they are spooled together unless they are spinning. It doesn't take long to get used to flipping the switch off for turning though.

A Detroit isn't as simple as just unlocking though. They never really do unlock as such. This is because they never allow one tire or the other to go slower than the other one. Instead they allow a tire to go faster. While this sound like the same thing it isn't. When there is torque against the drivetrain then the tire getting torque moves at the same speed as the torque but in order to turn the other tire it needs to spin faster than the drivetrain. The popping sound is when that side releases to allow it to do this. This makes steering odd with the Detroit as well except that you have no real control over when it does this beyond intentionally spinning the tires. IMO this makes steering a wash between them since they both take a little getting used to. Just different for each one is all. Perhaps a small advantage to the ARB since it has the ability to be unlocked so that it will not interfere with steering at all.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The detroit tru-trac is worth considering if you are not into serious rock crawling, yes it is only a limited slip, however, it takes a lot of torque to break loose, it has good manners on the road and works good off-road as well. I have been using one for 4 or 5 years with no probs.
Another plus with this unit is there are no clutches or cones to wear out as with other limited slips. A friend of mine put them in the front and rear and has good results, we have put his in some rough situations with no probs, he is running 33x10:50 BFG MT's.
I wouldn't waste my money on the factory trac-loc, its worthless.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
surfer-b, I agree that the tru-trac is probably the best limited slip out there, but CObronco2007 is looking for a rear locker and I would not consider a limited slip for the rear. However, with my experience, I still wouldn't want one for the front. I'd rather have a full on locker because it seems any limited slip doesn't work properly when you need it most. Even for the guy who stays on the maintained FS roads and such, because the one time you get caught in a rain storm and slide off in the ditch, you'll be glad you don't have any "slipping".

J.D.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I had a true-trac in the front of my bronco for many years, and it worked well and provided good road manners and allowed you to turn easily on the trail. The part I didn't like about it is you would have to make one tire spin before it thr other engaged. So instead of just pulling with both tires like a full locker you would have to loose traction with one before the other would start pulling. In mud or soft dirt this wasn't to bad, but on rocks it would make some obstacles much harder to overcome. I wouldn't install one in the rear unless it didn't spend time in the rocks. I now run a full detroit in the front, but have addd ram-assist steering to allow it turn more easily. For the rear I have had a Detroit for yeas and I am very happy with it, the only time I wish I had a ARB is in snow or icy conditions and occasionaly on a slick side hill.