• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Won't stay on!!! Help anyone???

75broncodude

Loc.
El Paso
I have a 75 bronco and it looks like now that the weather is getting hotter the more problems I'm having. Here's the problem I've been having the past couple of days... The bronco will be running fine and as soon as the engine gets hot it'll just die, no struggle it'll just cut off and die. First thing I thought was check the coil, it was freakin hot! So I figured it was a bad coil so I replaced it with a brand new one. I drove it today and again it stalled I'm having the same issue, it just dies with no struggle....

What could it be? I checked the fuel lines, fuel pump is pumping great, checked the fuel filter that's brand new... Could it be the electric choke I have a holley 4 bbl carb??

Any suggestions?

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Electronic ignition? Try the ignition module - especially if it's a Ford Duraspark. Typically when they go bad, they die when they get hot.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
Electronic ignition? Try the ignition module - especially if it's a Ford Duraspark. Typically when they go bad, they die when they get hot.

:p :p :p If you have gas this is the first spot I would look. When I had the duraspark I carry a spare module at all times. good luck.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
75broncodude

75broncodude

Loc.
El Paso
hmmm the module isn't that old only a few months accually, but when it went bad the bronco would just keep cranking. So if this one went bad too, wouldn't it not be able to start? or it still could start up?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Try putting a bag of ice on the module when it dies next time. If it fires right up it's definately the module.

OP
OP
75broncodude

75broncodude

Loc.
El Paso
After it dies will it start right back up? Will it stay runniing then? Does it only die at idle?

Yeah after it dies it'll fire right back up again, or i'll have to pump the gas like once and it'll start. Then it'll run for a bit then shut off again. It'll die while driving it and in idle, either or.

When I drove it today the module was pretty hot! is it supposed to be hot to begin with? Imma try that ice thing right now, but like i said before when the ignition module gave out this past winter, all the truck would do was crank and crank. This time it will start and i can drive it around until it gets hot and it'll die with no bogging or struggling, it'll just turn off. Then I'll make it back home, park it and it'll start right back up again, run for a while then die out. I already bought a new coil, and i just put a new ignition switch and lock and key...:p So would it be my best bet just to get a new module???

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
The modules do get hot to the touch.
Since it fires back up right away I'm leaning towards a fuel problem. Vapor lock, low fuel level in the bowl, or the fuel pump.

OP
OP
75broncodude

75broncodude

Loc.
El Paso
Whoo! went through every wire on that thing. The fuel was fine and had a small leak, fixed it and yes it was the ignition module, I slapped on an old module I had saved and it worked, the brand new one shorted out i guess...

Thanks guys for all the help and advice :)