• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HP D44, what did this come out of?

Hogback

bought this yesterday to rob the discs off it to put on my 75 d44. It has the cast wedges, 3" tubes (I thought they were all 2-3/4"), and what looks like spring perches facing forward with ubolts wrapping around the tubes and they have a clip that locks on a raised casting protrusion from the wedge casting.
would do pics, but let my contibutorship run out.
what year did they come from and is the housing a good one? May cut it down...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The wedges are separate from the pumpkin right? Tube is about 1/2" thick?

76/77 1/2 ton. The U-bolts you refer to are to mount a sway bar to it. These are the favored housings for the full width swap since the wedges can be moved in to be under the coils instead of having the coils bowed out at the bottom.

Do these pics look right? Mine didn't have the stuff for the sway bar on it but at one time it was probably there.

Attachments

• FullWidth01.jpg
    FullWidth01.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 49
  • FullWidth02.jpg
    FullWidth02.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33
  • FullWidth03.jpg
    FullWidth03.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 44
  • FullWidth12.jpg
    FullWidth12.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Hogback

Hogback

from the housing out looks different. the tubes don't look like they go through the wedge castings like yours, but go in some then are welded areound the perimeter. The wedge casting involves the wedges as well as the holding material for the trac bar bolt, plus about 3" more toward the inside. The long tube is 16" the short is 1-1/4". The outer part of the wedge castings are then welded directly to the ball joint housing/knuckles.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm
i'm thinking it's the 78-79 this guy has on his website, but his pictures arent the best quality. He also says he hasnt found any info on there being 3" tubes on any of them.

OX1

Bronco Guru
bought this yesterday to rob the discs off it to put on my 75 d44. It has the cast wedges, 3" tubes (I thought they were all 2-3/4"), and what looks like spring perches facing forward with ubolts wrapping around the tubes and they have a clip that locks on a raised casting protrusion from the wedge casting.
would do pics, but let my contibutorship run out.
what year did they come from and is the housing a good one? May cut it down...

Thats a 78/79 half ton D44 . U-bolts were for sway bar..........

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a 78-79 D44. First picture is the weld on wedges with 2 3/4 inch tubes from a 76 F150 I believe. The second is the cast wedge type with 3 inch tubes off a 79 Bronco.

The cast wedge type weighs quite a bit less because the tubes are about 1/4 inch thick. The weld on wedge type tubes are about 1/2 inch thick. I'm still undecided. I'm going to shorten one or the other to EB width. If I use the WAH (Wristed Axle Housing) kit, I'll go with the cast wedge axle. If I just shorten it, I'll use the weld on axle and reweld the wedges for the correct caster and width.

I was planning on boring out the housing on the weld on axle to accept the tubes from a heavy duty 9 inch for a high pinion but the 9 inch guys flamed me for even thinking such an atrocity. Sinch I'm only a little better than 8 inches I figured that I better listen to them. Acutally, lubrication and running on the coast side of the gears for a road vehicle were the reason. Going with a Currie HP instead. If you do shorten it up, the WAH seems like a good way to go from my research. Depending on your lift, front drive shaft clearence with the HP can be an issue. You might have to go with a small diameter shaft but I can't confirm that.

Attachments

• bronco 138 (Large).jpg
    bronco 138 (Large).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
  • bronco 139 (Large).jpg
    bronco 139 (Large).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

broncomania

Loc.
nc
cast wedges like you stated are 78/79 f150 and bronco hp44
if the wedges are welded on , they are 76/77 f150 . i have heard that some f100 trucks had the welded on wedges, but i have not seen any.