• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Planning a new project!!!

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
I've not been on here in a while, I'm in Japan now is the reason. My pride and joy is stuck in a storage shed for the next three years until I get back state side. I still have a few things I would like to do to it (disc all around, A/C, rebuild powersteering box, etc.), but I need a toy to play in the mud with! I need some advice on what to look for and general info. I need to know if the body is just there for looks? I really dont care if it has rust, dents or what ever! Im pretty sure if it looked good I wouldnt take it to a mud hole. I was looking at Wild Horses 5.5" lift with leafs not blocks, for about $800. Is it worth it? I was thinking about a roll cage and soft top for it year round since it will only be a trail rig. I dont want anything CRAZY, just a solid mud rig, cheap, reliable, and effective. I dont even have the bronco I plan on doing all of this too yet, but I have 3 years stuck over here to plan, save and to look forward to this upcoming adventure. Any help or comments would be great since I stuck without my Bronco and all I can do is think about it and building another. Thanks Jon

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a while to figure it all out I spent 7 years in Okinawa planning my bronco.(still not finished yet) The 5.5 WH lift is a good lift some things to consider is your tire size will you need 5.5in lift? or could you go lower and use a body lift? Mud running is different than rockcrawling you dont need all the flex that some of these lifts give and they may be softer than needed depending on the HP of your engine. also mudrunning tends to be at higher speeds. so a lower center of gravity can help. Along those lines a Cage is a must with a 5.5in lift or really any lift its just a good idea. As far as the body goes it depends if you start with a good body then I would try to keep it good if already trashed then you have nothing to worry about. One other thing is that with a 5.5 in lift you will be able to run some pretty tall tires with that in mind gearing will have to be matched or you'll be underpowered for the mud or for that matter just regular driving. What starts out as a cheap simple idea becomes a money pit of nessary upgrades. kinda goes like this Lift+tires+gearing+axles+tranny+ engine+ a lot of incidentals= a lot $$

OP
OP
calhoun555

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
I was just unsure of how stiff the 5.5" lift would be? I really would like to stay away from the body lift if at all possible. Fenders would be cut real high, or thats how I have it planned! I was also looking at the 33x14.50x15 Super Swamper boggers. I think your right on with the low center of gravity, I just want to make sure I dont scrub when I hit a rut kinda hard or a root system under water. I have had this happen in other 4x4 Ive been in. I currently have a 71' uncut with 32x11.50's, but have never been in a cut bronco that was given hell in a mud hole! Does the floors or rockers being rusted out hurt anything? I need alot of advise so Im only buying once and not over and over until I get it right. My uncut project was a little like that. Everybody said I couldn't run anything bigger than a 31" and keep it uncut, but its a daily driver and never sees off road! Thats what this next one is for! Please let me hear all the advice you got. Thanks;)