• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any problems if I....

Recko555

I have a '74 bronco that is rebuilt 2000-3000 miles ago. I just bought an '89 mustang motor (has 100k on it.) Can I just put the efi components off the mustang motor on my engine without any problems. The reason I want to do this instead of putting the mustang motor in is I dont' want to have to get a new flexplate and torque converter. I am pretty sure I have the funky flexplate that has the wrong size torque converter bolt pattern. I think I should be able to, but just want to know other people's experiences with this.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
There are many people who have put all the EFI stuff on a older firing order 3-2, and from what I have read it works ok. If you have it all apart it would work better if you replaced you cam to one that has the HO firing order, as thats what the computers on the Fuel injections are designed for.

minimatt

Change the distributor gear on the EFI distrubutor to work with your flat tappet cam. Everything else is straight-forward. You can search this site for the debate on the firing order issue and get some opinions on it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Flex plate and converter will only cost you about $100 to replace.

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

Firing order doesn't bother me at all. Where do I find a flex plate and converter for $100?

I am feeling confident to do the switch now (take top off '89 engine and put on '74 block.)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Change the distributor gear on the EFI distributor to work with your flat tappet cam. Everything else is straight-forward. You can search this site for the debate on the firing order issue and get some opinions on it.

Everything else is fine. The old firing order is no problem. Even if the idle quality bothers you theres a way to fix it right but it involves rewiring every injector and setting up the distributor 90 degree out of where it thinks it should be. Mine idles fine so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.