• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear wheel hop / bouncing in reverse??????

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
hey guys. in all four of the 3 speed manual broncos i have ever been in, they ALL jump around and bounce when in reverse, especially if it is up hill even a little bit. i back my '71 up the driveway now and it is not happy about it at all. my first question is -what cause this? my second, and more important question is, how do i fix it??????

thanks guys.

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Axle wrap and transfercase bushings cause the hop you describe.

Anti-wrap bar and new bushings are the respective fixes, however most just live with it.

OP
OP
F

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
where do i find an anti-wrap bar? does duff or someone sell it? also, which bushings are causing this? i cant imagine they did this brand new from the factory. for the limited driving i do with it, maybe bushings alone will cure the problem. thanks for the quick reply too!

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
You are not alone. The np 435 seemed to cure my backward hop, but it is probably just that the reverse gear is so LOW and SLOW that it doesn't do the dance.

Rob

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
All 3 EB's I've owned did this. On one of them I repalced the clutch/pressure plate and had the flywheel resurfaced. This eliminated the probelm for a while (until the flywheel started to get "hot spots" in it again). The leverage and weight distribution when going in reverse seems have a bigger affect on Bronco's than other SWB vehicles and if everything in the drivetrain and suspension is not perfect then it does the shakes.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
where do i find an anti-wrap bar? does duff or someone sell it? also, which bushings are causing this? i cant imagine they did this brand new from the factory. for the limited driving i do with it, maybe bushings alone will cure the problem. thanks for the quick reply too!

We will have an extra one of my traction bars at the end of this week. (We build them 2 at a time) Here are a couple of threads on them from several months back.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90238
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70202

We have actually modified them slightly from the ones in these threads however these are pretty close. The modifications are sleeving the ends where the bushings go for added strength and an extra brace on the axle housing brackets that makes them a single piece to make installation easier.

We can sell the extra one for $230 plus shipping. (The other one is already sold) If your interested send me a PM or Email.

Rick