• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost with front drums?

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Has anyone tried running a hydroboost system with stock front drum brakes? I was wondering if the performance of a hydroboost with drums brakes was comparable to a vacuum brake booster and disc brakes? Any thoughts or experience is appreciated

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have driven with a vacuum booster and drum brakes, the pedal is extremely sensitive. drums require much less pedal force than discs, the hydro would probably make them more sensitive. As far as performance you will still have the fading from heat and poor braking when they are wet, just easier to push the pedal.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think they would be also. I'd hate to find out what they would do in a panic stop not to mention the famous drum brake pull. I think there are more downfalls to Hboost and drum brake than benifts.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'd go for that lexan windshield, maybe even some padding......:p
Only driven my stang HB 4Wdisk up and down the driveway, but it is super sensative. Drums wil be worse.

OP
OP
BlazinCopper

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Guess I'll go ahead and put on the disc brakes with the hydroboost, this was one of those "I wonder if" moments. This will be a first time installing hydroboost for me - so I'm sure it'll be blast.

thanks for the help

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
There was a thread a while back that discussed this. Someone said the hydro was ok with drums, if everything was in good shape. He said it was just like having a stronger leg. Everything else stays the same. If it pulls now, it will pull worse with hydro, but it would pull worse with vacuum also.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Probably one of my posts you are referring to.

I installed my hydro with 4 wheel drums before doing the D44 and disc swap.
I felt much safer even before the disc swap.
Other than magnifying any existing problems I dont see any downfalls.
Yes is requires very little pedal force, probably comparable to the gas pedal. Tool a little getting used to.
I always kept my drum system in good working order with no pulling before the booster, so it didn't pull when I added the booster.

Yes you will still have the fade problem when braking a lot since the drums cant get rid of the heat like disks do, but as far as cold braking power, no problem locking up all 4 at 50pmh if necessary.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
There was a thread a while back that discussed this. Someone said the hydro was ok with drums, if everything was in good shape

I have said this along with several others but it is worth going over.
Your brake system must be really good shape. IF you have a so-so hose or weak brake cylinder your going to find out about that real quick.
AS the guys say, if you have a pull it is going to get a lot worse fast!!
HB is power brakes times ten, so get used to it.

And my last rant.
Hydroboost is a hydraulic brake booster, it is NOT the braking system. It boosts the pedal power but does not boost the brake system. The one great thing about HB is IF and I say IF you lose the HB (pump pressure goes to zero) you get manual brakes. You are NEVER NEVER NEVER without brakes with HB.
TOFIC

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have said this along with several others but it is worth going over.
Your brake system must be really good shape. IF you have a so-so hose or weak brake cylinder your going to find out about that real quick.
AS the guys say, if you have a pull it is going to get a lot worse fast!!
HB is power brakes times ten, so get used to it.

And my last rant.
Hydroboost is a hydraulic brake booster, it is NOT the braking system. It boosts the pedal power but does not boost the brake system. The one great thing about HB is IF and I say IF you lose the HB (pump pressure goes to zero) you get manual brakes. You are NEVER NEVER NEVER without brakes with HB.
TOFIC

Very well said...

If you are having problems with the brakes that are on it now, they will still be there with hydroboost. Either in a masked form or a multiplied form. But they will be there. The only thing hydroboost does is take out the calf-master excercise program from the brakes.