• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear brakes locking up

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
I have a 76 with the stock power front discs and stock rear drums. For some reason my rears seem to be locking up before the front(i'm not sure the fronts are locking up). What would cause this? I dont see any fluid leaking from anywhere, and both the wheel cylinders and drums are new. This just recently started happening and the pass side will lock up when you just barely touch the pedal and it feels like its sticking(i cant power brake anymore:( ).

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) pinched rear brake line, the hard line not the soft stuff. Start checking the line down the frame, see if you hit something and it has closed up the line.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typically when brakes start working too good, it's the other brakes that are really not working good enough. Check your front brakes as well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Did you recenter the proportioning valve after bleeding the rear brakes?

Kenny

This just recently started happening and the pass side will lock up when you just barely touch the pedal and it feels like its sticking(i cant power brake anymore:( ).

I know that you said that you didn't see any fluid leaking, but did you pull your rear passenger drum and see if the brake shoes were wet/contaminated? Brake fluid on the shoes can make them grab......happened to me, and I almost got in a major accident. I'm not sure, but maybe gear oil from a bad axel seal could cause the same problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont have any manuals with me to give the exact procedure but If I remember correctly the small pin on the prop vavle should be pulled out and held slightly during bleeding otherwise the front to rear proportioning will be jacked up. Maybe some with with a manual can give you the exact procedures as it could be part of your problem.

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
I dont have any manuals with me to give the exact procedure but If I remember correctly the small pin on the prop vavle should be pulled out and held slightly during bleeding otherwise the front to rear proportioning will be jacked up. Maybe some with with a manual can give you the exact procedures as it could be part of your problem.

Thanks, i'll look into that and the post above . Thanks guys.