• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will '67 cougar 289 bolt up in my 74 Bronco?

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I found a rebuilt 67 289 motor and I wonder if it will drop into my 74 without any modifications, transmission change etc. - Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It should. Is the '74 origanally a straight 6 or a V8? If it is a V8, no problem. If it is a sraight 6, you will have to do the usual straight 6 to V8 conversion parts.

As for the engine itself, it is a normal small block V8. The Cougar oil pan is wrong for a Bronco as already mentioned. There is also a dipstick in the timing cover that will be wrong for the Bronco pan. No show stopper, but you could end up with 2 dipsticks. Or you can plug the one in the timing cover and just use the bronco pan dipstick. Keep the harmonic balancer with the timing cover, I believe there is a change in the timing marks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you have a 302 now why go backwards find you a another 302 or a 351W. While the 289 may just have been rebuilt. A rebuilt 302 is a better choice power wise.

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I pulled my 302 out to rebuild. I know it has been reworked at least once, as three of the pistons are replacements, and at least one of the other pistons and all of the bearings have been hot. I am at a juncture where other options are still viable. I found the 289 with 22K mi for $450. I have also found a 302 from an '81 F-150 that has never been rebuilt. I can buy it for $100 and use it for a core. I am leaning toward the 302, as according to an earlier reply to my "rebuild core advice" post and information in the "How to Rebuild..." book suggests anything up to '82 is compatible. Thanks for the input!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I found a rebuilt 67 289 motor and I wonder if it will drop into my 74 without any modifications, transmission change etc. - Thanks
Your 1974 pulleys wont bolt up or center correctly to the 1967 harmonic balancer.