• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 20 hop ups ????

broncomania

Loc.
nc
so, whats the big mods for a dana 20 ? im putting the atlas idea to later dates. or any of you mated an np205 to a c4 ? thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dana 20 mods
convert to twin stick
Varity of O'brien gears but for there cost might as well just spring for the Atlas.
Affordable (sort of?) gears are the 3.15 tera lows. I like mine.
Upgraded output shaft.
After that about all that is left is the gear gawker clear inspection cover.

OP
OP
broncomania

broncomania

Loc.
nc
twin stick sounds good.
upgraded output shaft sounds good.
depending on cost.
3.15 tera lows ????? where can i research these ?
thanks.

OP
OP
broncomania

broncomania

Loc.
nc
Google!!;) Just searched for "Teralow 3.15" and got a bunch of hits. Make sure you look at the ones for a Bronco. I like mine, too!

yeah, i just did that. thanks. pretty expensive. by the time you add twin stick, shaft upgrade , etc. , $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
im thinking. ?:?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
.... or any of you mated an np205 to a c4 ? thanks.
It's easier, costs less, and is stronger to use a C6 bolted to an NP205 than it would be to use the C4 bolted to one. The C4 and C6 have the same gear ratios so ther is no change other than a stronger tranny.

What do you plan to use it for? That could effect the choice of t-case and tranny.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I did a full rebuild on my D20 and plan to run it until either it breaks or I feel like springing for an Atlas or STaK... Regearing a somewhat weak box does not excite me.

telcolineman

Tera low gears are around $650.00, Check with PORC on pirate4x4.com. They have the best prices

70_Steve

Old Guy
pretty expensive. by the time you add twin stick, shaft upgrade , etc. , $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
im thinking. ?:?
Call some of the places that don't list the price on the web site. I noticed a couple prices of $850 or so. I got mine from Trailquest ( http://www.trailquest.com/teralow/low20b.shtml ) for significantly less than that. You might also call Sams 4x4 Store ( http://www.sams4x4store.com/TeraFlexDriveTrain.htm )

IRegearing a somewhat weak box does not excite me.
Not sure why people think the Dana 20 is a weak box. It does have it's weaknesses, but can be upgraded. Yes , the output shaft is a weak spot, but it can be upgraded. I've only ever heard of one instance where someone cracked a Dana 20 case. The Teralow Gears are made by the same process as the stock Dana 20 gears, so no strength increase there, if you really need it. But talk to Jack O'Brien, of O'Briens 4 Wheels West, and he will explain how to make the Dana 20 virtually as strong as an Atlas. And with less of an investment and no fitment issues.

mr.n

I just talked to B.C. Broncos, they are out of upgrade rear shafts for a while...

What other shafts are there for upgrading?

Just this last weekend I broke my rear shaft, only 2nd time out with the rig...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Not sure why people think the Dana 20 is a weak box. It does have it's weaknesses, but can be upgraded. Yes , the output shaft is a weak spot, but it can be upgraded. I've only ever heard of one instance where someone cracked a Dana 20 case. The Teralow Gears are made by the same process as the stock Dana 20 gears, so no strength increase there, if you really need it. But talk to Jack O'Brien, of O'Briens 4 Wheels West, and he will explain how to make the Dana 20 virtually as strong as an Atlas. And with less of an investment and no fitment issues.
Brian (Nvrstk) has busted one or two cases and I took this picture at SOB a couple of years ago plus Jack Covert mentioned someone else that cracked one open as well. (That's 3 that I know of)

Attachments

• SOB9-02.jpg
    SOB9-02.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
broncomania

broncomania

Loc.
nc
What do you plan to use it for? That could effect the choice of t-case and tranny.

my c4 is brand new . and here is my rig.
img_1223.jpg

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
my c4 is brand new . and here is my rig.
img_1223.jpg

The NP205 would definately be stronger however it would cost you some low gearing. The NP205 is only 1.98:1 vs. the D20 at about 2.46:1. Since your C4 is new then I think I would just put the upgraded output shaft in it and add a twin stick. Tera low gears may be a plus as well but keep in mind you will loose some middle range gearing that the 2.46:1 stock gears give.

bludorbronc

Do you have the T (2.46) or J (2.34) shift, every little bit helps? And dont forget the doubler 203-20 for a great combo .

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've got a relative in michigan that used a stock Bronco D20 in a 600hp sand drag buggy for years. but his setup won't feel the same shock to the driveline as a crawler will either.

That's a gnarly Bronco you got there!

OP
OP
broncomania

broncomania

Loc.
nc
Do you have the T (2.46) or J (2.34) shift, every little bit helps? And dont forget the doubler 203-20 for a great combo .

?????? i couldnt tell you. ive never ran anything other than an np205 .
these d20's are new to me.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Check out this thread. It was a little while back, but that was his normal price, I believe. You can get the HD output shaft from WH; its a 32 spline witha new yoke. Went in like butter. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91898&highlight=terra+lows

I ended up doing most of the upgrades to the D20, Terra Lows, WH HD OS, JBFab Twin sticks even the Gear Gawker;D . I cant say the GG is an upgrade, but I will be able to see whats going on in there. I think the new WH billet saddle/cover will add some strength vs the 1/8 plate thats stock for the inspection cover...however. Most of the pics I have seen where the D20 cracks is right along this girdle. By adding a thicker cover, whether steel or a quality aluminum alloy, you keep the gears from splitting the case by having a better girdle. I may consider buying the WH one or having my milling machine buddy make some thicker steel ones at some point. For now, I am more concerned that it all stays together and oiled...once it starts to get beat on, we will consider a beefier cover. Anyway, the Terra Low kit comes with an almost complete D20 rebuild kit. I think the only thing it really lacked was the Timken bearings...which I believe can be bought via NAPA or a good parts house. In other words, you can save yourself almost $100 by not buying a rebuild kit when you get the Terra Low set. With the gear set, HD OS, Twin sticks and gear gawker, I think I have right around $1100 in my D20. Yes, if your lucky and patient you can find a used Atlas for around there...you will be waiting a long, long time...thought I had one but the dude was a flake%) ...some peoples word isnt worth their breath. But Im not bitter.

I cant wait to try it out. Good luck with your decision. The truck looks sweet.