• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carb mpg miles per gallon

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
what are you running to get what mpg?

my truck is a daily driver not alot of offroad but will be driven in the winter what would be a good carb i have the stock cast intake and 2 barrel right now but have had it rebuilt twice and it is still giving me problems.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
A lot of people say the quadrajet is the best if you're running an aftermarket intake. Me and my Dad can vouch for the stock motorcraft 2brls, they rock off-road and get decent mpg. I've got a Q-Jet on mine and my Dad has a stock Motorcraft on his and he gets about 10mpg and I seem to get around 5 or 6 given my motor is a lot more extreme than his stock one.

FYI My Dad runs a stock 302 with MSD Pro-Billet and 6A box, I run duraspark on a built 302.

rednck21

the 77 has a 500cfm eddy and perf intake and gets about 9mpg or so. the 67 with efi and 4.10's gets about 13-14 on the highway;D

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i was thinking of just getting a new 2 barrel for it but not sure which. I can get a remaned stock for about 100 but not sure if i should go that way or not.

Okiebronc

Loc.
Inola, OK
The stock 289 with 4.10's and 33's in my 67 got 21 on the highway after a tune up...now I get 14 with a built 302....but it has turned 13.96 in the quarter

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
mine is a 71 302 with flat tops and im not sure what cam but it has some nice orange double springs. so im not real sure on that yet ut i think im going to go for the stocker

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
This is sad, but I can't remember the carb. I know its a 4 barrel, but I'm not sure which series. I'll see if I can find out. I would say that and the tranny have been the best money spent on that truck.

The new suspension is nice, too, but for performance the carb and tranny.

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
with 4.11's with 33s and a C4. I got about 8 to 9 MPG with my 670 Holly TA in my built 302 , thats about 3100 rpms at 65 MPH and a GPS for speed and distance . I live in the hills though and have a few steep grades I travel .

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
my truck is pretty much stock only big thing is f150 brakes and 3/4 chevy rear discs and 3 speed floor shifter

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My 73 with slightly built 302, RV cam, single plane intake, holley 600 cfm, hooker headers, NP435, 3.50 gears and 33in tires gets 13-15 on the hiway. Hope to get 1-2 more when I swap out the single plane manifold for a dual plane and the 600 cfm carb for a 525cfm carb.

Basically your engine needs to be suited to your overall gearing to get higher MPG numbers this is done mostly with the selection of the correct camshaft. after that its just a matter of tuning the carb. In some other posts the EFI guys are really not getting any better mileage than carbed engines but EFI does help driveabilty.

You might want to do a search there has been a few posts some quite long on this very subject.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i searched and read through 4 pages of threads and none are real clear and are getting old i was just wondering if anyone has gotten a good clear answer.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There is no real clear answer when you ask about MPG as vehicle variances are great between all of our rigs. The best answer I can give is the one I gave your engine has to be matched to your overall gearing and driving needs to pull the best MPG. The carb itself if not to big makes little differance as long as its tuned to your engine. Some guys get luckly and bolt on a different carb and get better mileage and automatically say its the carb but in reality its just that carb is better tuned to there engine if there old carb had been tuned to there engine they would have seen no differance when it was swapped. But OD trannys do make a differance but the engine still needs to match the final gearing to benifit.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My '76 is running an NV3550 tranny with an Edelbrock Performer carb and manifold. It gets about 22 mpg on the highway.

I've previously been identified as an antagonist and probably shouldn't attempt a discussion with you but here goes. Maybe you should take a math class!%)