• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78' Lincoln Hydroboost, problem with 9" brakes

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I'm still in the process of building my bronco, the 9" came out of my truck and has had no issues with brakes. I had it cut and narrowed to fit my EB. With out driving it and just moving it around in the garage and onto the trailer, I have broke 2 baking plates on the drivers side. The pin the springs hook to brakes and last time it bent the back shoe at the top where the wheel cylinder attaches. Both times it has pushed the wheel cylinder appart.
In the rear line I have a wildwood adjustable proporting valve, I don't have a check valve which is what I believe is my problem.

What is everybody else using?

David

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would take a good hard look at the axle housing end. Was it welded on straight? If not it could be causing binding when the brakes are applied thereby breaking backing plates. once somethng inside the brake assembly breaks there is always a chance that the cylinder will come apart so I wouldnt take that as a sign that your brake system is the problem but since you already have a adjustable valve take some more pressure off the rears. But i would still look at the housing ends as the culprit.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I'm not at home so I can't check that right now. I have the valve shut all the way down. It is a dual disk master cylinder but from what I have read, I can't see that as being the poblem.

David

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Anybody else have any other ideas, I did not get a chance last night to check the run out. I'll do that tonight.

David