• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1996 Bronco - Need Help (Possible Transmission Issue)

Goose3201

Hey All,

A good friend of mine owns a '96 Bronco and continues to have issues with what seems to be the transmission. I am in no way a mechanic but thought I would post the email he sent me to see if any of you had a clue what it specifically may be (and also a fair price to fix).

Here goes:

"The truck is a 96 Ford Bronco, 5.8L 4WD. The problem is that the shifter is really sloppy and its hard to get the car into the required gear. Sometimes when i put it in park, it doesn't quite make it....but the car shuts off and then won't turn back on.....until i get it back into park."

Thanks in advance for your help.

TC

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would suggest you look at the linkage as it sounds like it is lose and sloppy mite be a bad bushing good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
96 is integrated in the column. Pull the plastic covers off and see where the play is might get lucky and be able to fix it there, if all is tight up top continue down to the trans, you may want to look at the trans side first since it doesnt require tearing anything apart but it's usually up top in the column.