• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BOLT ON, No machining rear discs!!!

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
After installing a few of the rear disc setups available, I decided there has to be a better way of doing this.EVEN for us bearing challenged individuals. (guys with small bearing rear ends.) Machining axles and bolting rotors to rear of axle does not cut it with me. So, I went on a mission to find the true bolt on rear disc setup. Had to be Ford, Parts readily available and no messing with the axles or axle ends. Rotors had to fit on the STOCK Bronco axle end. After much searching and digging and trial and error, here it is Lincoln rear setup with Crown Vicky rotors!! absolutely no axle machining!, no welding!, no fuss no problems straight bolt on!! Two small alterations and it is in!! Pictures for proof. One picture shows my template for redrilling the rotors to the bronco bolt pattern, strongly recommend you make this. remember no axle machining was the rule and this meets it hands down. After figureing this all out I converted my small bearing, drum brake rear to rear discs in a little more than 3 hours. (well not quite but thats another story) This alteration could be done to a large bearing rear end in less than 2 hours a side.
TOFIC

Attachments

• finished1.JPG
    finished1.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 612
  • start4.JPG
    start4.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 529
  • drum3.JPG
    drum3.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 521
  • rotoron.jpg
    rotoron.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 551
  • finished3.JPG
    finished3.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 595
  • finished2.JPG
    finished2.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 712

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
What backing plates are you using and what years on the calipers and rotors? Anyone willing to make a pdf of the template so people can print it off?

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I like the sound of a bolt on setup. But yes we need all the info, years, backing plates, etc....etc......etc....

Shawn

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats...I guess I still prefer modifying an axle once versus modifying wear parts whenever they need replacement.

Speaking of which, if you knock the wheel studs out of an axle, that works as an excellent transfer punch to redrill the rotors.

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I like the sound of a bolt on setup. But yes we need all the info, years, backing plates, etc....etc......etc....

Shawn

Shawn and the other gentlemen with the "colored" Bronco.
Backing Plates?? what are you talking about? these are rear discs! no such thing as backing plates used.

If you have a big bolt pattern rear end this is a straight bolt on with a few small things to be done. Here is a quick briefing, the pictures show this.
78 Lincoln rear disc setup complete except the rotors
78 Lincoln rear pads.
95 Crown Victoria rear rotors, gutted of the E brake assembly
The only work you need to do to make this work is on the rotors
grind the center out to one and seven eights of an inch. I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum to do this.
Grind off the lip of the "drum" part of the rotor, did mine with an angle grinder.
inside the rotor hat you will see a raised lip at the edge of the hat. This edge has to be ground down and rounded off so the rotors fits on the Bronco axle end. Taper the inside of the center opening so rotor fits flush to the axle end.
If you are using the lincoln setup, the caliper mount bolts to the axle end mount with two 1/2 inch bolts. The caliper mount must be shimmed out 1/4 inch for the caliper to work with the ford pads.
bolt in on and use any 4 wheel disc master cylinder to make it stop.
I am still playing with the lincoln ebrake setup so more to come on that.
TOFIC

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Sorry I was a little slow, but I know what your talking about. I will be interested in the E-brake details also, thanks.

Shawn

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Backing Plates?? what are you talking about? these are rear discs! no such thing as backing plates used.

Alright wrong term - caliper brackets, I take it they are the lincoln's. Cool setup. Also interested in the e-brake too.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
What backing plates are you using and what years on the calipers and rotors? Anyone willing to make a pdf of the template so people can print it off?

Shoot me the details a pics
I'll kick out a PDF at work

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats...I guess I still prefer modifying an axle once versus modifying wear parts whenever they need replacement.

That's sensible Apogee. Especially when many people won't have to replace an axle in their lifetime. But... the reason most people these days would justify doing it the other way is that even though the axle is not typically a wear part, if you're out on the trail breaking things, the axle is more likely to succumb at an inopportune moment than a rotor is.
And if you lose one away from home on the trail, you'd have to modify a new one before you're able to install it.
IF you're carrying a spare, like some do, then it's a moot point as it could be pre-modded.
If you're having to make a run to town to get the new one, or are able to borrow one from a trail-mate, then you have to modify it on the fly, so to speak, to make it all work.

Same goes for a rotor too of course, if you had to replace one, but most people are less likely to break a rotor than an axle under normal trail conditions.

Paul

OX1

Bronco Guru
If you're having to make a run to town to get the new one, or are able to borrow one from a trail-mate, then you have to modify it on the fly, so to speak, to make it all work.

How many places "out in town" stock a "short" 9" axle that has not been used in anything since 1977?? Still a good find, but if I had to, I could modify a new axle on the trail in 15 minutes using an air grinder vs having to drill 5 fairly precise holes.

If your trail riding hard enough to even have a remote chance of breaking a stock axle, I'd go 31 spline alloys way before rear disk (if I could only afford one........).

Anyway, not trying to rip ya up too bad, always nice to see someone put in the work to figure something out no one has yet :cool:. I actually think it would benefit those street goers more than the trail guys. Easier for a home guy to drill 5 holes when the rotor centers itself and those would be the guys more inclined to use stock axles.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pictures of what to look for. I pulled these parts but have not installed them yet. I'm kicking myself because I always write down all of the vehicle Id information when I pull a part so I know what to order replacement parts from. I lost my dumpster diving note book with all of this valuable data. I do know that it was mid sized ford 4 door sedan with a big bearing 9 inch, positrack (or whatever is was called) coiles springs... It had 28 spline axles with 5 on 5 flanges. The bearing retainer/calliper bracket is a two piece unit held together by two large bolts.

Attachments

• 70bronco 035 (Large).jpg
    70bronco 035 (Large).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 70bronco 036 (Large).jpg
    70bronco 036 (Large).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 70bronco 037 (Large).jpg
    70bronco 037 (Large).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 249
  • 70bronco 034 (Large).jpg
    70bronco 034 (Large).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Nice job TOFIC, I just did a chevy/jeep/and what-ever else to get this done on mine a few weeks ago. Seemed like all the details weren't clear...and had me bouncing off the walls in anger. Nice job again!Chuck

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Many thanks to everyone for their comments, always nice to belong to a 'Family' of people that can express opinions without being rude or obnoxious ( been on the pirate recently??)
Apogee, OX1 and DirtDonk all have valid points and I agree with most of them but the intent of this was for the average guy with a DD/Off roader/hunting truck to be able to do this with simple tools in the driveway. You hard core crawlers engineer way past this old guy. I have utmost respect for your abilities but I am reluctant to play in your sandbox.
Hoppy:: I see you are new to the board so WELCOME from TOFIC!! If this modification progresses past the curious stage, I definitely will contact you.
BucketOBolts :: I will do a tech article on this if the interest is there, it would be a very lengthy one and would take time to do and I am reluctant to take that time away from my Machine to do this unless there is a good reason (sufficient interest). Also I am still dealing with the Ebrake issue.
Regshawn and PDXBronco (no your still PDXBronco, i cant bring myself to call you Tito yet??) Working on the brake issue will post it when I solve that problem. 2 solutions have come to the top of the heap, the standard Lincoln setup or a output yoke disc brake. will let you know.
blubuckaroo:: talented, I wish, just aahhh frugal as the scotch say (TOFWIC says cheap). I was helping a friend at work fix his brakes on his 95 Crown Vicky and this is how I got the rotors for a negligible sum. He replaced his so I got the old ones. Some measuring should the rotors to be fine so I got a good set of rotors for nothing.
BlazinChuck:: a couple of weeks of frustration?? is that all?? I have been at this one for months approaching a year. Talent?? nope, just stubborn and knowing there is always a better way.
DAVE:: those parts are off a Granada ghia or mercury monarch ghia. possibly a t bird although I doubt that as birds are floating caliper therefore mount differently. the above cars or a Ford LTD maybe??
TOFIC

craigs67

Loc.
Juneau Alaska
thanks

Nice job.. I will hope to see a tech article someday. I not sure about all the grinding, I guess if I get the parts it will all come clear. Thanks again Craig

mr.n

TOFIC, why didn't you drill a 1" hole in the rotor? To match the axle flange, and quick access to the nuts?

FYI, on my 90 Lincoln rear disks, I swapped some parts to run the E-brake cable above the axle. You don't need to weld or mechine anything to do it ;)
Didn't see your set-up but most cars ran it under the axle.

stlkikn

TOFIC.... the rear (9 3/8") axles using this brake set-up were commonly found in the full size big block cars that ran hydroboost setups...
76/77 Lincolns and LTDs for example... they all have the 5 on 5 C**v bolt pattern... I have two of these to play with myself someday... ('boost systems too!) Worst part about using this e brake is getting the pads backed off if you need to service the brakes!

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
This sounds like an easy install, but is it all easily obtainable parts at my local parts store? If not, finding the stuff is usually worse than fabbing something up that is needed.