• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Name that grinding noise

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
I have what I think is a throwout bearing going bad on me. When I have the clutch fully depressed it is making this humming/grinding type noise that goes away as I engage the clutch. Also, if I rev the truck it seems to get loud then go away. It did it a couple times before but I thought it was just the trans not coming fully out of gear. It seems like every other time I push the clutch down it's making the noise now. What is it? And if it is the throwout bearing how much of a pain in the ass am I in for to replace it? If it is doing some damage I'll hurry and do the job, but if all it is is an annoying noise then I'll live with it till the spring. Any suggestions on how I can confirm what is going to drain the bank this time? Thanks

Smitty

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Sounds like it to me. Its an easy fix and you might want to replace the pilot bearing and clutch while you're in there.

Dans1/2cab

Loc.
Southern Oregon
I can't remember looking at a EB with a manual trans, but I have been under a lot of Ford pickups with transmissons and there is a inspection plate. Take it off and look for metal-flake. If you can get your hand up in there try to move the throwout bearing to feel if it is rough. If it is it will probably be eating up the finger on the clutch. I have sprayed oil on it befor and got it to last a while. But if it is froze up or turns to a spot and stops, it is tear down time.

OP
OP
clownshoe

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
Thanks, I couldn't think of a worse time for this to happen. I am closing on my new house on the 27th, I am droping the truck off for a cage on the 26th, and I just picked up another bronco that I need to get shipped to MD from Utah. Looks like it's time to start sellin plasma.............. or crack. Anyone know of a good tranny shop in the Ft Meade area of MD?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I vote throwout bearing as well. Keep going and it could wipe out the pressure plate and fork.
It's about 6 bolts shy of doing a clutch job. Not bad but moving the tranny and transfer case out can be a bit of work on your back.

I know of some who prefer to pull the engine to do the job. That option is best for those without a lot of stuff on the engine and a cherry picker more handy then a tranny jack.

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
This summer mine started to make a similar noise. I diagnosed as been the bearing as well. I hear the noise intermitenly. Driveshaft,T/Case and Tranny removing them will be the most difficult part. Pain in the ass especially after doing up a complete resto on the rig. I had eveything apart should have put a new clutch assembly in while I was there.