• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

leaking water through the dash

Bronconutz

Hi hope someone can help
I have a 75 bronco that I had restored. The windshield and frme was relaxed. I have vintage air placed. My problem is when it rains or when I wash the truck it leaks a lot somewhere in the dash on the right and left side. Having a hard time locating the leak. Already placed weather stripping on the hinge as well as silacone on the crease. Any help is appreciated.
bronconutz

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
Hi hope someone can help
I have a 75 bronco that I had restored. The windshield and frme was relaxed. I have vintage air placed. My problem is when it rains or when I wash the truck it leaks a lot somewhere in the dash on the right and left side. Having a hard time locating the leak. Already placed weather stripping on the hinge as well as silacone on the crease. Any help is appreciated.
bronconutz

Bad design. I did a full resto on my 76. I got caught in a few rain storms. Water would trickle in through the hinge area and water down everything under the dash. It cuased my radio to give out every once in while. I met a few guys at the all Ford Nationals that had put a strip of electrical tape across the hinge to alleviate water from coming in. No fun washing her either..

72Sport

Bronco Guru
With the hood open you can see a seam about 1" above the cowl. The cowl sheet metal overlaps the body sheet metal which collects water and provides a leak path. Mine leaked through that seam.

The hood hinge bolts pass through the body behind the dash. Apply some sealer to the threads on the bolts.

OP
OP
B

Bronconutz

thanks for the input. I'll try all the suggestions and let you know how it goes.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
window glass seal could be leaking through allowing it to go through the frame out through an opening in lower cowl panel. get up under the dash wiht a flash light and see if you see where it could come through.

OP
OP
B

Bronconutz

I just used clear silicone on the bolt for the hinge as suggested and also a bead along the hinge of the windshield frame and no more leaks. I don't know if that's a long ten solution but at least I'm not getting wet
thanks