• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Brakes

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Here are a couple pics of the new disc brake kit install on my 66. After a bit of work I got the passenger side done. As far as the Driver side I am stuck. The jam nut holding the original drum on (just behind the Hub) is frozen on. I have the required tool (Socket) to loosen or tighten this nut but it will not budge. I tried some heat and Oil but no go. The Hub assembly had been missing on it and I believe some moisture had gotten in and froze it, looks good though, no visable rust. ANY IDEAS? Thanks
Oh yeah, I feel like I have been beating my head against this thing .

Attachments

• p side new disc.jpg
    p side new disc.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 70
  • pside new disc2.jpg
    pside new disc2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 51

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
If you smack it with a hammer it will let more penetrating oil in. Let it soak, then use a short breaker bar and smack the bar a few times. Do you have an impact wrench?

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I've used an impact wrench on those before, but be careful and just use short bursts. If you pound away with the wrench on high you will snap the ears off the hub tool--then again if it gets the nut off sometimes it's worth a little tool sacrifice. Use the penetrating lube and some of trlblazr's good tips first. Good luck!

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
If you've got an air gun you're using just keep flipping it back and forth between tigh and loose. That may get it to go in at least one direction then you can get it off. And since you're trashing the stuff it won't matter if you over tighten the nut.

Smitty

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Today Has been a head up %$$ day. I have not tried my air gun but did try a breaker bar, the socket slips at a certain amount of pressure using that. The air gun sounds like the way to go. I have to work tonight (yes, on New years eve). So Ill hit it with some PB Blaster (penetrating oil) tonight and try it tommorrow evening. I hopefully wont damage the nut as I intended to reuse it. Thanks for the suggestions. Ussually I can cruise through these things but for some reason the whole brake install thing is pi$$ing me off.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have used an impact wrench several times. push in hard and force all 4 ears fully into the 4 tabs. Do not let the socket rock on the nut.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Which hub tool do you have? I used to have the inexpensive version and had alot of problems getting it to seat well and to stay seated when I used the breaker bar and a cheater pipe. I upgraded to the better version ( It has a collar on it that helps the tool stay seated on the nut) and it made the job MUCH easier. I have pulled alot of thoose things apart and the better quality hub tool has been a life saver.

Also, since you are working on a 66, I would be interested in knowing how you are setting up your brake light switch. Are you keeping the pressure switch or going to a pedal switch? Also, did you buy new brake lines from the frame to the diff. or did you keep the originals? I have done alot of the conversions but I'm about to do my first 66 and converting that single reservoir Master cylinder to a dual presents a unique set of challenges that are not so difficult on the later Broncs.

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Thanks guys, i used my cheap tool with an impact gun and heat. Came off pretty quick.
casadejohnson- I have put all new lines in the 66, im running a pressure switch for the brake light ( it is mounted to the frame under the master cylinder. I will have two lines go from that to a disc/ disc proportional valve, and then to the updated dual bail master cylinder.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Good to see you got it off of there. Another trick I've used to get things like that a apart is to tighten it a touch first. It helps break the nut from the crud on the threads then it can spin off. The better hub tool with the collar around the 4 teeth makes a huge difference.

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Casadejohnson...I am in the middle of doing my 66 disc conversion. For the brake light switch, I used one identical to the original and I used a brake line tee to install it. I had trouble adapting the pipe threads on the switch to the inverted flares (just as you said you are in another thread). What I ended up doing is using a small piece of brake line between the tee and the switch. i will try to get some pics on here as soon as I can so that you can see it. I do not know how it will work yet b/c I have been at a stand still for a week now. My caliper mounts are in the mail and they will not be here until Thursday:( . Give me a few minutes and I will try to upload some pics.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Casadejohnson...I am in the middle of doing my 66 disc conversion. For the brake light switch, I used one identical to the original and I used a brake line tee to install it. I had trouble adapting the pipe threads on the switch to the inverted flares (just as you said you are in another thread). What I ended up doing is using a small piece of brake line between the tee and the switch. i will try to get some pics on here as soon as I can so that you can see it. I do not know how it will work yet b/c I have been at a stand still for a week now. My caliper mounts are in the mail and they will not be here until Thursday:( . Give me a few minutes and I will try to upload some pics.

Thanks for the info. I'm at a stand still as well. Too much work and not enough heat in the garage. I would love to see the pictures.

Thanks

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
casa... I just installed the power booster/cheby disk set-up on my 66 and its running great. I went w/ an OEM brakelight switch at the pedal. Send me a pm for details or pics.