• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need a D44 measurement

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am in a need of a measurement from a D44 housing. I am curious of the angle between the knuckle and the pinion on the front end. In other words, if the pinion is at X angle, what is the angle of the top/bottom balljoint surfaces (where the nuts go) on a stock housing.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have an empty D44 housing I could measure from. I'm not quite sure how to set up the measurement you are after though. With a little guidance, I can probably get the # you are after.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have an empty D44 housing I could measure from. I'm not quite sure how to set up the measurement you are after though. With a little guidance, I can probably get the # you are after.

Assuming the pinion and yoke is out of it, if you can set the housing on jackstands or something else so that it's level side to side, take a protractor/angle finder and measure the angle (from vertical) of the face of the housing opening where the yoke/pinion goes. Then place your angle finder on the machined flats of the "C's" (don't know the proper term) where the balljoint studs poke through and the balljoint nuts are tightened against. Measure the angles on the "C's" on both sides (both top and bottom of each) to get a good idea of the angles. Knowing those two measurements will give me the baseline I need.

Thanks a bunch!

Todd Z.