• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clunk in rearend

67horse

Loc.
Riverside CA
Ok So I was driving down the road and when I changed lanes I heard a loud clunk coming from the rearend. My friend thought it might be the Ubolts being loose but when I checked those the looked to be fine. It happened twice both times when I was changing lanes in the same direction. It didnt do it when I turned in that direction though. Anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this? It was pretty loud and I could actually feel it in the truck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sometimes things that look fine are not. Might want to check them better like with a torque wrench or if they are orginal might want some new ones. Another possible cause is worn or broken parts in the rear end. Might want to drain the oil and see if theres any metal in the oil.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If the pinion nut was loose you would feel a clunk every time you put it in gear especailly when going from reverse to forward. You'd also feel it when you step on the gas after letting off the gas. You might want to check the drive shaft sometimes the splines are worn or dry and may clunk when it lets loose.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
I broke a ring gear tooth in my old pick-up (it was a cheby). After I originally heard the noise it ran good for 50 miles. Then after my next start up it chunked more teeth and stranded me on the side of the road. You should pull your axles and check that pumpkin.