• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starting trouble

ddm156

Ive been having some difficulty starting my truck, for a while now...i thought it was faulty wiring, but now im leaning towards starter solenoid. when i turn the key i get a clicking sound, cant pinpoint it cause ive been on my own lately, so i cant see it. starter solenoid looks rough. ususally if i jiggle the wires enough for a while it will eventually come around, but this time just clicking. sound right?...is this clicking characteristic of a worn solenoid? probably going to replace some wires while im at it too, theyre old.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm not sure about "characteristic", but that's what mine was doing. I put in a new solenoid and the problem went away. How are your cables and connections? I would start with the Solenoid. IT's only about $10 and is cheaper and easier to deal with than a starter. Then check cables, then the starter.

JEFF76P

Loc.
Palmyra, Virginia
You can bypass the solenoid if you turn the key on and take A jumper cable from the large post on one side of the solenoid to the other. Just make sure you are in neutral with the E-brake on. If you still get the clicking sound, check for loose wire connections or replace your wires before replacing your starter. Also make sure you have A good ground from your battery to the engine. If bypassing works it is probably the solenoid.