• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T-bird 4.6

widowmaker77

Contributor
I have been looking at doing the 4.6 and have read a few older posts from the search however I could have missed this engine somewhere as I understand the cobra and markviii have the lowest rpm torque but what the t-bird engine. I have not called the guy about this motor but in the local paper its listed as 95 model t-bird 4.6 with 30,000 miles for 400 bucks it says the motor runs good. The money sounds right to me but is this motor a good choice. My bronco is mostly street driven with some mud running I do not rock crawl. Thanks for any help because I know very little about mod motors. I forgot to ask this first were the mod motors even offered in t-bird cars because I thought the v8's were 5.0's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
come on guys surely someone knows something about this motor. Was the 4.6 even offered in t-birds?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I had a '97 bird that i bought last year with the 4.6. I was impressed at how this car went! i had a '91 LX mustang and this thing would have eaten for lunch. That T-bird was one of the best cars i ever owned and it went like a bat outta hell too! $400? scoof that one up, mine had 107K when i got it and i put roughly another 12k before i sold it and never missed a beat.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
thanks for replies yea 400bucks is a really good price for a mod motor I just hope its in good shape like he says . I didnt remember ford putting the4.6 in the t-birds I thought the v8's were 5.0's.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It should be an early 4.6 2V engine. I think similer to the crown vic. Being a '95 there is an ugly little surprise in store. First generation OBD-II. That and on a system that has little aftermarket support for programming the ECM. Ford launched the OBD-II on 2 engines in '94. The 3.8 mustang and I believe the 4.6 T-bird. It was actually federal law. Starting in '94 and model with a new engine had to be OBD-II, carryover models did not need OBD-II until '96. That is when everything was required to have it. Those were some interesting times. Today the CAN systems are the new technology that is causing strange swap issues. But give it a few years (much like EFI) and once the aftermarket learns how CAN systems work, there will be some amazing things coming out.

Personally I would pass on the engine as a swap. Unknown one year wonders usually suck.