• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gears and locker install

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Hey guys I'm getting ready to install new gears front and rear in a little bit. I was wondering if there is some tips and tricks to use. I have been reading the differentials book that jim allen wrote. Is there any tools that really make a difference and such in install. The last thing i got is I want to use a step up bearing since i personally dont have a press, can you make one? Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yeah, you can make a set if you have a lathe. I suppose that you could grind a set, but that wouldn't be too exact. You can also purchase setup bearings from some of the vendors.

Recko555

I used my old bearing as set up bearings. It worked well. I grinded mine.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Yeah I ground mine out too, with the dremel, Not sure how you'd do it on a lathe.... really hard material and hard to hold the inner race.

OP
OP
snipes243

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
that is what i was thinking of doing. I just heared a couple things that it might not be that accurate. I just put a good bit of money into gears and a Detroit and i dont want to mess it up.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
that is what i was thinking of doing. I just heared a couple things that it might not be that accurate. I just put a good bit of money into gears and a Detroit and i dont want to mess it up.

When I ordered bearings they were $15 each (stock) or $30 each for the setup bearings from www.randysringandpinion.com. Sounds like you'd rather spend the extra $30 for peace of mind.

OP
OP
snipes243

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
That is what i am leaning towards right now. Since i will be my first time and most likely will be taking it apart a lot more that a normal person who has don it before.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
THe race for the pinion bearing is another you have to install and remove as you are setting up (D44). There is a setup race for that also...that will slip in and out without having to be pressed.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was always told to take a brake caliper hone and use that to open the ID of the bearing for making set up bearings.

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I'm about to do what your doing. I just ordered my gears, diff, etc. Here's a good link that gives you a good feel for setting up your frontend.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

I opted for making my own setup gears mostly because the above link talked about grinding out your old ones.

Also, he talks about the tools you need and those that would be like to have. Hope this helps. I also have a Ford shop manual for my bronco and will be following it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yeah I ground mine out too, with the dremel, Not sure how you'd do it on a lathe.... really hard material and hard to hold the inner race.

It can be done. My father-in-law made mine for me on his lathe.

OP
OP
snipes243

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I'm about to do what your doing. I just ordered my gears, diff, etc. Here's a good link that gives you a good feel for setting up your frontend.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

I opted for making my own setup gears mostly because the above link talked about grinding out your old ones.

Also, he talks about the tools you need and those that would be like to have. Hope this helps. I also have a Ford shop manual for my bronco and will be following it.

That is a really good write up definitely going to helpful when I do the 44. Has anybody ever tried using the crush sleeve eliminator kit.