• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When is a Bronco too far gone?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I've started to do a frame up restoration of my 68 Bronco. I pulled it apart about 10 years ago and I finally have decided enough is enough and to get busy working. My question is, when is a tub too rusted to be fixed? Sitting right now I will probably need to replace the entire front clip, windshield and support area holding windshield, floors, rockers, 1/4 panels, and door posts. I have the patience to complete the job, but is it worth the head ache? I really don't want to go fiberglass. Any pictures of your trucks before and after? I've seen a few in past forums but I guess I need to be inspired! Thanks.

bighorn

I'm neck deep in it now. I've replaced the front floor boards, tranny tunnel, seat platforms. I've replaced both inner rockers, door posts, and kick panels. I still need to replace the cowl and windshield supports, both rear lower quarters, the passenger upper quarter and tail light. The tub is more like a guide to replacing the parts for me it seems. The channels were good, which was a big help. It is not too hard to do, just time consuming, but looks so good when it is shiny and new!!!!

Good tubs are hard to find and once you starting peeling the onion on even the good ones it becomes a runaway train. I'd just start with what you have and keep on going. It feels good to bring one back.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If you can live with it, fiberglass will save you a whole lot of work, frustration and maybe even money in the long run. I chose to restore my 76 and keep as much of the sheet metal as possible. I started with a good body. So far I have had to replace all the floors, rockers, hood. Between the cost of the new parts, cost to strip the body, cost of cutting and repairing, I could have purchased a fiberglass body and I would be driving it instead of waiting for all the repairs to be made. I am glad I did it the way I did for the expierience, but my next project is going to be fiberglass.

soclair

Its only to far gone after you dop it off at the scrap yard. Any time before that and its just a work in progress

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Look at the pics of my 73 restoration that is in progress. I didn't consider that one too far gone, but only because I can purchase any piece I need and I've had to have pretty deep pockets. I have the $$ to spend, so when I need a part, I just go to the website and add it to my cart.......Still, it takes lots of TIME to get the job done. You are making a big committment of that for sure. I'm paying myself .05 an hour.

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Thanks for the info. I am going to rough it out and replace the sheet metal. I'd rather do it right then to "Wish I Had Done This Instead" later on.
JAFO keep the pictures coming. I don't think I need to go as knee deep as you. Your doing a good job. Good luck!