• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How the "BEEP" does my horn work??

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Here's the issue. I took the steering column and wheel off for the rebuild. It went back on smoothly except that in replacing all the old and worn parts, I recieved a new turn signal switch. It seems to have two spring loaded coils which control the horn. I didn't have these before. I didnt have a horn before. The grant Steering wheel and kit that are on there are about 4 years old. Are the newer kits better? Can anyone walk me through the rest of the process?

Thanks guys.

Ol' Blue 76

Loc.
Pittsburgh
I can't help you specifically with the steering wheel rebuild kits, but you can probably trouble shoot your horn easier than you think.
For the horn system to work, you should have a horn button (you gotta figure that one out), the horn relay, and the horn itself. The relay is typically a 3 prong (if I remember correctly) silver relay. It's mounted by itself over the fenderwell (passenger I think). If you didn't have a horn before, double check that your horn works (hook it up directly to the battery). double check that you have a relay present (can't imagine someone hacked it out, but you never know). you can check to see whether your horn switch works with a multimeter (test for continuity--0 ohms--when you press it). I would just play around with the switch until you get continuity when you press it(maybe you don't need the springs?). A wiring diagram may also help clarify some things--there's probably one on this site. Don't know if that helps at all or even if that's what you're after, hope it's a start though

Edit: browsed your gallery, realized maybe the original harness is gone? Maybe just fab up a new system (maybe that's what you were asking all along?) just mimick the wiring diagram

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
the newer kit is better, the two spring loaded pins ride on a copper plate ont he back of the steering wheel adaptor, adn the horn button completes the connection between the two copper rings on the plate on the steering wheel adaptor. so maybe you are missing some of the horn parts for the steering wheel kit since you didnt have one before, so a new kit may be in order