• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Hinge Seal Too Thick

KDML

When restoring the body of my Bronco I painted the inside of the windshield hinge with POR15 (2 coats), topcoated with 2 coats of epoxy primer which was further coated with 3 coats of color. When I laid my new hinge seal in place I can't get the windshield to lay back far enough to line up with the top of the doors. The bottom of the windhsield lines up well with the door frames, but the top is too far away. I tried pulling back on the top, but things are starting to bend. I even measured the angle of the windshield frame and compared to my other Bronco and it is clearly not laying back far enough. When I remove the seal I can push the windshield back further (actually too far, so I need something in there). The new seal is about 1/8 inch thick, which is about twice the thickness I need. Could the numerous coats of paint add so much thickness that my new seal will be too thick? Anyone else run into this issue? Any ideas for a thinner seal or possibly something which will compress easier than rubber? I was thinking of laying some camper cap tape in place of the rubber seal as it will compress easier.

Thanks

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
you could use a bunch of silicone in there and let the rest squeze out or find a thinner seal.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Silicone would most likely keep the frame from ever folding again without making a mess.

Camper top tape is porous, and would retain water, which is bad...

You might want to try this. McMaster_Carr # 5109K14
Silicone Foam Rubber Strip Adhesive-Backed, 1/16" Thick, 3/4" Width, 15' L
In stock at $18.87 Each

It's closed cell so it won't absorb water and it's firm...only thing is, it's orange.

OP
OP
K

KDML

I was thinking the same thing on the camper tape (water), but I had some laying around and thought it would be a good temporary solution.

I will look around a few stores here for foam rubber strips, if not I will order the orange stuff from McMaster_Carr. I see they even have 1" wide strips which I belive is the width of the stock seal. So closed-cell is the technical term for what I am looking at to avoid it absorbing water - correct?

Thanks again for the advice

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Yes, Closed cell is what you want...stay away from any open cell stuff. Try to get a real rubber as well vs. the foam rubber (even though that's what I found)...

You might also want to try a bicycle tube...just a thought.

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I had this same problem when I put my new seal in. After a while,it all settled in. Every few days, I would tighten down the two bolts that hold the windshild to the dash. If I tried to do it all at once, the windshild seemed to want to bend.

Another thought might be to go to the hardware store and buy a few feet of the rubber liner that you use on shower tubs. Cut it down to the size you need and use two layers if you need it. Cheap alternative, but it's in a 3' wide roll so you will have a bunch left over. Just a thought.

Hawkdoc

lay some wax paper in between the frame and body and "fill" the C you just made with silicone. You now have a seal the size you need and its not stuck to anything after it dries.
Hawkdoc

brian72

Early Bronco Student
take the hinge and lay it in the driveway for it to get hot. Put it in then let the windshield frame weight settle it in....