• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiring issues-Fix it or scrap it?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Doing a little more assembly on the 74 this afternoon. I reinstalled all of my exterior lights, signals etc. today. My wiring harness was somewhat hacked already but everything worked pretty well with the exception of a couple gauges before disassembly. Now upon reassembly, I have some odd things going on. I have some lights that dont work Right front parking light and left rear parking light. ( Bulbs are good) Also when I hit the brakes my turn signal indicator lights on the insturment cluster come on. Keep in mind all I did was unplug wires Nothing was cut and spliced. I had plans for a centech or painless harness down the road but have lots of items higher on the list. Now I'm considering rearanginging my priorities. I would rather buy a new bumper and wait on the harness for now. I figure I have 3 options.

1- Suck it up and get a new harness from centech or painless

2- Chase shorts and do alot of swearing and splicing

3- Go cheap and buy the el cheapo ebay harness and risk being disapointed with it later.

What are your opinions? Also does anyone have experience with the el cheapo harness and the centech / painless? Are the high dolar ones really worth the extra money? Input is appreciated.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
well i think it sounds like some bad grounding or mixed up wires on the gauges, ive heard some good luck stories with the ebay harnesses, and they offered me a discount at one time, but i lost the email so that sucks for me, anyways id say chase down the problems or try the ebay one if you are good with wiring and have time on your hands

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
I've had good luck with my Painless one so far! At lest then you know it's done right! I had a few problems with there Tech Support, just depended on who you talked to! I hated to spend all the money, but I haven't had any Gremlins!!!!!!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Now is the time to rewire, you just finished paint and are putting things back together. If you dont do it now...you wont do it. Me and a couple buddies did a centech in a day. Check ebay they come up for cheap here and there. The cheap ones will work but it doesnt get any easier than the centech.

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
I just bought the 4 wheelin junky harness from ebay, it's going in tomorrow. While it's not like the painless(PITA as I call it) harness I have in our 66 I'm pretty impressed with it.

I'll report back anything i find if you would like.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Probably a good time for a new harness. I've heard some good things about the ebay harness. I'll probably go with that when I re-wire.

Localrich - let us know how it goes.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I put the ebay harness in mine and was very happy. The ebay harness is made for a GM column, but other then that it was nothing to it. Only thing I did was wire in some additional relays.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
What is an E bay harness? Brand? Link?

Thanks Bax

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also when I hit the brakes my turn signal indicator lights on the insturment cluster come on.
Do the front turn signals come on with the brake pedal as well?

I am guessing it is one of 2 things. First is the hazzard light switch may be on or partially on. Second is the turn signal switch is FUBAR.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a stock 73, and cannot figure how it is still working based on the number of bare, rubbed through wires on about every length of loom. Get a new harness, let us know how it is to install.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Do the front turn signals come on with the brake pedal as well?

I am guessing it is one of 2 things. First is the hazzard light switch may be on or partially on. Second is the turn signal switch is FUBAR.

I'm not sure about the turn signals coming on when the brake is applied. I'll check it in the morning. I was not home this afternoon so I have not had a chance to look into it any further. Signal switch could also be the problem as I did have the column apart to replace the upper bearing. In a perfect world, I would like to put off the wiring harness for about 6 months because thats about when I'm thinking I'l get to install the Vintage Air A/C system. I plan on redoing my dash to install vents and the glove box flip for a roll cage I figured that would be the best time to do the wiring. I guess it will depend on the difficulty of the problem.

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
So the complete wiring harness sold by 4 Wheel Junky is only $200? Does that come with everything the other more expensive kits have?

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
So the complete wiring harness sold by 4 Wheel Junky is only $200? Does that come with everything the other more expensive kits have?

NO it does not!!

I'm 4.5 hours into the install, Most of which was pulling the old rats nest out. I had to add a wire for the 2nd tank, in the rear harness. Also will need to add a wire in the headlight harness for the winsheild washer motor.

If you are not really comfortable with wiring i'd recomend the centech or painless harness.