• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carb help

OneTonGoldfish

Loc.
san marcos, tx
my 71 bronco has been running rough lately. I had a shop open up the carb and clean it out and it ran like a champ for about a week. he said there was some dirt in it (possibly rust in the gas tank) and it could use a rebuild. I was thinking of just buying a new one. what carb will be the most reliable? I only use it as a weekend cruiser and i never beat on it so adding hp isnt a concern. would rebuilding my carb be just as good and save me money? i also plan on adding another fuel filter.

btw its a 302 with a 3spd

here is a pic of it just for fun
mybronco.jpg

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm one of the lesser experienced mechanics on this site, but I would start by cleaning your gas tanks if that is what the root cause of your problem is. Installing a new carb will clog up as easily an old one. Rebuilding is a lot cheaper than buying a new one too. One of the guru's here can give advice on how to clean the tanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
The stock carb will be the most reliable. Get a rebuild kit and some carb cleaner and rebuild it. If theres rust in your tank the filter should be catching it before it gets to the carb so that really shouldn't be a problem unless the filter is clogged. then you need to change the filter. once your tank is close to empty it might be a good idea to pull it down and completely drain it to see if there is rust in it. pull the sending unit and look inside to see if there is any rust. If there is then your tank is probably in bad shape and I would suggest getting a new one.
Your rough running could also be due to the fact that the points need to be adjusted or replaced.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
If you go with a new tank, think about one of the larger capacity tanks (23-24 gallon). If you're tank isn't bad, I would put a filter in line by the tank, then one by the carb.

There are a million different answers to the "what carb?" question. Do a search and you will find no end to the opinions.

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
I agree that your probable cause is rust in the tank. If so you came repair in a cheap manner.
Get you some old nuts and bolts after the tank is empty and shake and rattle them around in there several times. That will knock the rust loose. Rinse tank out and purchase some tank sealer to pore inside. Eastwood Company can help you on this and is a very effect cheap way of curing a problem like this.
2nd discontect your fuel lines and blow them out....replace all fliters and drain your carb. Put fresh gas in and you should be ready to go.