• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what tools needed to replace axle seal?

Big Slim

my 9" rear alxe is leaking, coming out the axle tube. from what ive read it sounds like the seal. what tools do i need to get the seal out/in? do i need a puller/ press or just pry it out?

wildhorses76

Loc.
Kaplan, Louisiana
I just replaced mine but my axle housing was out from underneath the vehicle so would move around when trying to use a puller so I pryed them out after buying a slide hammer and seal remover from harbor freight. seal remover was like 5 bucks and slide hammer was like 15. I used a short piece of pipe just the same diameter as the seal to tap the new ones back in.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
wildhorses went over the removal and replacement, here's a tip:

check your vent, and be sure it's not plugged up with mud or crud. That oil needs room to expand in the housing, and the vent needs to be clear, and have the tubing run to a point higher than any water you may get in to (mine goes to the top of the fire wall)

jghflys

Loc.
Texas
Make sure you check the axle bearing. Sometimes bearings going bad increases the clearances causes more axle movement and kills the seal.

James