• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flat Towing Wiring

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I tapped into the harness (centech) just after the plug that goes to the rear of the Bronco. When I flat tow I just undo the plug forward of where I spliced in and all the power runs to the rear. If I don't undo the plug then the power feeds into the turn signal switch and front turn signals.

Ryan.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
a vendor jsut came out with a kit for it, to tap intot he stock wiring, it was in bronco driver, search BC or wildhorses if you want i can go look for you if you really cant track it down, but it makes it way easier

6daze

OK, what you need to do is tap into the stock wiring going to the taillights.

If you still have the stock wiring harness, there is a small rectangular plug on the drivers side engine bay. This connects the front half of the Bronco to the rear.

There are two (or three) wires that need to be accessed here. I went to an RV store and asked for two diodes. They are made just for this type of application and therefore easy to use.

I cut the yellow/ black stripe wire and put the diode in between. The diode had spade terminals on it so I just crimped female ends on the wire. The other wire is green/black stripe. I can't remember which wire is which as far as left/right but it is easy to find out. The diode has two inputs and one output. The original wire goes in at an input and out at an output. A new wire goes in at the other input. The new wires (one from each diode) will run at least to the grille area.

You also need to tap into a wire for the running lights. Since I was here already I tapped into the solid brown wire in that same area. For this connection I just used a tap, no diode needed. Run this wire to the grille area as well.

Lastly you need a ground. I used a ring terminal at the same place the driver's side headlight is grounded.

I ran these four wires (one from each diode, one ground, one from the brown wire) to a female flat four trailer connector behind my grille.

On the tow bar I used a premade harness that has flat four.(This harness should have a diagram showing which color goes to which turn signal, I think it is standard) It hooks into my tow rig and has a male that hooks into the Bronco. This stays with the tow bar.

I can post up some pics tomorrow.
HTH,
Mark

Or buy a kit from Chuck for the Centech.
http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1368

ransil

Bronco Guru
I made a harness years ago from cutting the plug off an old harness .
I just unplugged the Stock Bronco plug and plugged in my made up harness and ran the wire to the tow vehicle.
Its near the master cylinder.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I made a harness years ago from cutting the plug off an old harness .
I just unplugged the Stock Bronco plug and plugged in my made up harness and ran the wire to the tow vehicle.
Its near the master cylinder.

That's the easiest way I have heard of people doing it

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I use the magnetic tow lights. Harbor Freight has about the cheapest price.

I actually bought mine from a auto parts store.

After struggling with the splicing and tapping my bronco harness, I finally got smart and spent about $30 on the removable lights.
You can use them for other applications also. If you have a problem with trailers, or decide to tow another vehicle, etc. you just plug into your tow vehicle plug and go.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
One other thing is unhook your rear driveshaft as the tcase gets oiled from the input shaft