• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carquest part #'s for 10" brakes

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I finally got all the parts together and got out to the garage to assemble the rear drum brakes (10"). Something is not right.

I am not sure I got the correct parts. The adjuster lever does not rest against the adjuster and the lever is making contact with the rear brake shoe. I can spin the adjuster in either direction

I also think there may be a problem with the return spring on the primary shoe. the kit came with two blue springs and a green.

The brakes were a mess so I a can't go by what was on there.

The part number for the adjusters are:
Carquest
h2613
h2612

The spring kit I used is h7239
I attaches some pics of the rear left brakes (drivers). Did I put something in wrong or do I have the wrong parts?

Attachments

• P1010070.jpg
    P1010070.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010071.jpg
    P1010071.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010072.jpg
    P1010072.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010073.jpg
    P1010073.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010074.jpg
    P1010074.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16

Hazegray

Looks good, even doubled checked with my Chilton's manual. Try to compare your old "star" adjuster diameter with the new one. Maybe the new ones are too small?:?

Edit: Is there tension on the cable to the adjusting lever? Could also be a variance there

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I have the adjusted turned all the way in (then backed out a 1/2 turn).

Maybe once it is adjusted out it will change the angle of the arm.

Are the springs color coded? I had a green and blue on top. Should both blue be on top?

I dont have anything to go by. The springs were definetly on wrong to begin with.

Hazegray

By the looks of your pics and my Chilton, you got the springs in the right position.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Are you having trouble with both side or just one .........Remember there are 2 front shoes and 2 back shoes ..Difference is the lining on one set is longer and most of the time thicker ..one of each goes on both sides ....Sorry I don't remember wich shoe goes on the back and which on the front.........

Hazegray

The primary shoe is the shorter one, facing the front of the vehicle; secondary shoe towards the rear. Try to turn the adjuster screw out to put tension on the springs and adjusting lever.

Also, what the heck is all that black goo on your rearend??:?

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Thanks.
I never had so much trouble with a simple brake job (although I have only done drums once before). I just finished the rear. It only took three weeks.

I have the front hubs and spindles removed. I am trying to decide if I want to do the Chevy conversion now or wait until next winter.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
the goo?

I didnt see it but it is probably either POR15 or Rustoluem over rust or old undercoating.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
It looked like BED LINER TO ME .....I began to thinks it was bed liner in your way.........So what fixed your brakes or have you alrady said .........

Hazegray

Yeah, your rear suspension parts looked dipped in something:cool:

My recommendation is to do the disk conversion now. You'll save money in the longrun and have safer braking.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You should be able to pull back on the cable with your thumb below where it wraps around the radiused piece causing the adjusting arm to rise up over the star and try to ratchet it. If it does then everything is correct. It only ratchets when the duo-servo action is engaged. Make sure the silver radiused piece is sitting flush against the secondary shoe where the return spring hooks. With adjuster turned that far in, it is no where close to where it will be when set to the drum diameter. The springs are in correct location.