• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column

ransil

Bronco Guru
I tore apart my 76-77 steering column apart a month ago, seem like a it should be not problem to reassemble.

Which way does the shift leaver go ( is the pic correct)?

When assembling the shift collar ant the piece that hold the turn signal thing, what holds everything together, so the spring does not send everything flying out the tube??

What do the square head bolts hold??
I see what looks like wear marks under where the seat, but no piece fits in there.

i looked at the JGB exploded pics, they are no help.

Attachments

• Shift leaver.JPG
    Shift leaver.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 32

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I tore apart my 76-77 steering column apart a month ago, seem like a it should be not problem to reassemble.

Which way does the shift leaver go ( is the pic correct)?

When assembling the shift collar ant the piece that hold the turn signal thing, what holds everything together, so the spring does not send everything flying out the tube??

What do the square head bolts hold??
I see what looks like wear marks under where the seat, but no piece fits in there.

i looked at the JGB exploded pics, they are no help.

The pic looks correct, but there is a notch in the lever that is held in the proper orientation by a rectangle piece welded to the bottom of the shift tube. There is also a similar rectangle welded to the top of the tube that orients the shift collar correctly.

The square head bolts are what holds everything from pushing out from the spring tension. I found it worked best to put the bolts through the collar and turn the nuts on by just a couple of threads. Push down on those nuts when you push down to get everything together and then as you titghten them the square part will catch in the slots designed for them and hold everything together. It's also easier if you don't hook up the shift linkage to the tranny until you've got the column back togther correctly. Another person that can rotate the bottom shift lever a little as you try to push it all together is a big help, but it can be done by yourself.

Here's a write-up and a few pictures that may help. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108289

OP
OP
R

ransil

Bronco Guru
That pic was copied from ebay.
I don't think they are blue, I ordered one from JBG and it is just bare steel with 3 sheet metal screws holding the bearing in. The new bearing is held on either by screws like the pic or welding it in.