• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

P/S pump whine... make it stop!

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I've been fighting my P/S pump whine for many months now. For the longest time, I thought it was a leak in the system causing my problems. So, since I wanted to have the P/S box converted to a 4.25 turn box I sent it to WTO and had them convert it and rebuild it. I installed it and I can't find any more leaks, but it whines when I accelerate. Not at idle or when steering. When I filled it, I jacked the front and turned it lock to lock about 20 times before I started it. I let it sit over night thinking it would de-gas, but no luck.

I know there are others running the Explorer P/S pump with Hydro that isn't having problems. Could there be something up with the Hydro unit? It seems to be working fine since day one.

Any and all ideas accepted.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Nope all ford pumps whine some more than others. But they all do!!
Only cure is a Saginaw pump I know of no other way
TOFIC

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I can understand if it was whinning when under load, but not just sitting in the drive way while I goose it. It acts like it's still got air in it or is still sucking it in from somewhere. But, damned if I can find where.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
if YOU running atf fluid in it the pull some out and add a bottle of Lucus ..We fixed one doing this ...If you running some other P/S fluid then make sure the lucus will mis w/ it