• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serpentine timing cover?

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
I am picking up a '98 Explorer serpentine setup to put on a '95 5.8. Do I need to pull the timing cover from the Explorer or will the one on the 5.8 work?

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
Dont know about the 5.8 but it must be used on the 5.0 to work.There is tons of difference in the covers when side by side.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Must use the Explorer timing cover. The waterpump patern is special to the Explorer. also the Explorer cover is shorter, part of the short drive package.

OP
OP
70bronco

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
I'm am curious, where did you find that, and how much did it cost?

It was a package deal I made at the local wrecking yard. I told them what I wanted and they quoted me a price for all. I don't know what it cost by itself. Today I found out they won't sell the timing cover and dampner from the Explorer motor so I will need to source those elsewhere.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
It was a package deal I made at the local wrecking yard. I told them what I wanted and they quoted me a price for all. I don't know what it cost by itself. Today I found out they won't sell the timing cover and dampner from the Explorer motor so I will need to source those elsewhere.

There not real easy to find, at least for me. BCB's has a kit for $600+, but I might as well buy a complete Explorer motor. Looked at one today for a grand, but it is a 98' and I'm not sure I want those heads. P type. I am still thinking about it. Thats why I was wondering about the cost.

6daze

The Explorer timing cover can be found on ebay for about $50. The dampner may be a little harder to find but ebay is your best bet.

Mark

mattt

Bronco Guru
Have you checked any local Pick Your Parts? 5.0 Explorers are becoming more common local to me. I think they get $15 for a timing cover. Once you figure your time to get to it though, you're well above $15 as that 5.0 is shoehorned into the Explorer. You have to pretty much take everything off and out to get to the timing cover.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Explorer timing covers are about $100 at any parts store that carries Poineer brand products #500302T
Best price I found for a harmonic damper is NAPA @ $77. The Pioneer number is DA-3024, but at parts stores they tend to run higher then the NAPA version but maybe get them to price match

OP
OP
70bronco

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
The wrecking yard delivered the 5.8 and Explorer serpentine today. The total came to $640.

$500 for the complete '95 5.8 and a 5.0 Mustang upper and lower.

$140 for the '98 Explorer serpentine brackets and pulleys with alternator, power steering pump w/reservoir, and AC - minus the timing cover, water pump, and dampner.

So it looks like I can sourse the rest for $100 -$200 depending on new or used. I guess I need a water pump too.

Thanks for the info.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thats great.
I've been looking for the same stuff for a couple of weeks now. I'd say you got a good deal. At least you found what you wanted, and thats worth quite a lot.