• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another disk Question !!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Don't start screaming yet ..Well it was warm today and my good drum brakes finally developed a problem ..So I decided its time to put my disk stuff on ...
Only had it for 2 years ..My question is when I put the chrome lock ..the outside piece that has the red button..(now pink) in it ...That button can just push back inside ..there is nothing to hold that button to the outside ...it can move inside about 1/8 inch ....
....I think one problem is I believe I'm using some original locks they seem much heaver duty than the 10 other sets I'VE had in the past..
....................................................................................................
We built a Dana 44 for Running Buddy and put Disk on it for him about a year ago ..His we were able to put the clip back on the end of the stub shaft ...But today on my swap I couldn't get the axle to punch thur far enough to get the snap ring on so I put a washer and fine thred 7/16 by 3/4 inch bolt in it ....Do I need to put several washers on the bolt to push it out so it keep that cap from pushing inside ..

bludorbronc

I asume you used a pry bar of some sort to push the axle out all the way, prying between the axle housing and the axle u-joint flange. Sometimes the ears that the red botton rides on get bent down from having to push against them hard to lock-out, so if you can straighten them out it should take up the slop and not let the botton go in.And you do have the sheetmetal piece that goes in first that the big spring sits against before you install the inner lock-out piece.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ttt...ttt...
yES PUT A big screw driver to the u-joint ...
Some one answer that has used the bolt and washer in the end of the axle ..
give me some insite on this method of repair ..

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
TTT.....Well put about 80% of the other side on tonight before I got too cold to stay any longer ..and I wanted to chad too my buddys on CB ...this side I could also not get the axle to push thru enough to put the clip on the end of the stub axle ...So if someone will chim in that has used the bolt in the end of the stub .........Let me know what and how you did yours ...

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I just used a grade 8 bolt and a fender washer in the end of the axle shaft.

I did the ch##y disc swap. No way the snap ring was going to fit.

Something about the hub is a bit longer on a ch##y than a ford, or maybe it was the spindle a bit longer....whatever. The instructions in the kit said to use a bolt so I used a bolt.
Dan

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
How far down from the end is that groove cut? I have cut some that were different from others. One axle had a groove close to the end while others were about 1/2" or more back. You dont have something right if the red twist lock is not staying out. The shaft doesnt have anything to do with how that fits.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Just to clarify, the bolt in the axle shaft has nothing to do with the lock out hub knob slop. Although I haven't run into this problem myself, I would think your big spring is weak and not pushing the hub innards out all the way. Or as bludorbronc said the spring cup is not working right (missing) or the hub spring fingers are flattened out.

I've got an extra set of M&M used hubs I could send you if you need them.

Dan

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..Fordtruck I agree something is not just correct ...We built another dana 44 for Running Buddy earlier but have never got it installed ...iT'S hanging from my chain houst in the center of my shop ...but the snap ring went right on it but on mine their at least a full snap ring width off ...just wont install ..I think on that red (pink) locker ..I have thought about it I must have it turned 180 out because when I twisted it ....It is no longer on the LOCK and FREE side it is on the 3/4 side out ...I'll try to answer back after I get it figured out ...
...But I'd like to still here from some that have use the washer ...I guess I'M wonder what part the washer is covering ....I must have changed 50 stubs and bearing packaging in my life But I've never had this issue before ...
But my old 1980 bronco I've always put chevy stubs on it because ford always wanted you to buy the complete axle and you ''COULD'' buy just the stub axle I don't know any longer .........

bludorbronc

If you use the bolt and washer trick , you should have a gap between washer and outer half of lock out, if you used a snap ring, the snap ring would be against outer half. With a gap, I would think you would not have proper engagement of inner and outer square cut teeth. Also with a gap you would not be preloading v-seal to keep debris out. With teeth meshing properly I have snapped some teeth off.If you put new bearings and races in,are you sure races are in all the way? I have held several outer shafts side by side and all snap ring grooves were at differant places. I would have a groove installed at correct length.If we are talking about stock Bronco lock out the spring holds inner half of lock out against large outer snap ring, With teeth meshed together right and engagement ring on,I turn red knob in cap first to show 4 wheel drive position, that way your not trying to compress spring to start bolts. Then engagement tabs go into bottom of ramp depression and all bolts start easily. There are notches formed in the cap for the engagement tabs to go in so when the red knob is in 4 wheel position the bottom of ramp and notch in cap should line up. so unless knob is way out of position how can it be 180 out. While I have mine apart I always put an o-ring twice the thickness as original under the cap to help keep moisture out.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK got it fixed all it takes is time ....this time no money ...Dumb A$$ attack I simpley had put the red caps on the wrong side ...mine are 1/4 turn lock to free ...Not the 3/4 lock to free ..I've had both kinds ,I prefer the 1/4 ones ...But the other side I guess it was hard to push the 2 tabs down so I should have pushed harder....Tonight the other side slipped in like it should ,so I went to the other side and fix it also ..Doing this the red center piece doesn't push thru...Went and drove it all worked like it should ...
......The bolt and washer deal thats what I used ..7/16 fine thread bolt 3/4 long and a heavy finder washer that was larger than the end of the shaft ..The one I had was about 2 inches ...

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...Some one ask if the bearings were pushed in far enough ..Yes the new rotor ass. no.5492 Auto Zone ..for 80 81 ford tr.have the races in them from the factory ....

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok trying to make my post shorter ...
Disk brakes are on ...now guys my Bronco had good better than most drum brakes ...So I may not be as impressed as some of you guys ...Yes it stops .....It will squeal my 285/16s ...But so would my drums...Will it stop shorter than my drums Maybe 10 ft. It did get to stopping rather straight..
Will I put disk on my 4bt Bronco ..Hell Yes!!!
.........................................................................................
Conversions rating ..........
Np 435 no.1.
Power steering.....no.2.
Tilt Wheel no.3.
Disk Brake no.4.
Flow Thur Tailgate ..no.5. its just cool ..
Bronco II seats no.6.
Chevy Heater no.7.but I live in Texas.
Broncos are so cool because you make them fit your family ....

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Adding hydroboost to disc brakes will lower the Np 435 one notch in your rating system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
GOOD one 72 sport ........I've got a 1/2 dozen Hydros setting on my work bench...I've got and Astro ..ford tr. and Lincoln..1 ton chevy ..desiel chevy ..and 2 or 3 dodge 1 ton units...And several sag dual returns cases for power sterring pump...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PAPITT, in the first post you're talking about the knob that you twist ("red now pink" is a perfect description) and that is going to move in and out just a tiny bit normally. Mine do it and they're perfectly good. I'd say it's just a bit less than an eighth of an inch, but not by much. An eighth is probably not a big deal.
When you push it in, it does come to a hard stop after that little bit, correct? That's normal.

It should push itself right back out due to the spring pressure. If not, then it sounds like either the spring is weak or the knob is bound up just a bit.
Does it twist easliy? Did you put the really big spring in first?

Paul

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
YA after I got the cap and red pink dial turned correctly it's not nearly as loose as it was ...before it could push completely inside and loose ..