• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 swap...shim?

zbronc

I am swapping in a c4 and i've noticed that the c4/d20 setup that i got from a donor Bronco has a 4" diam. disc/shim piece that apparently was bolted on with the flexplate bolts between the flexplate and torque conv? This piece hasn't been used on my 3 spd trannys. I notice the holes are precisely placed and it will only fit one way.
What is this piece, what does it do and do i need it?

PaulS

Loc.
Greater Seattle area
That small piece is meant to spread the torque at the bolt holes so the drive plate (flex plate) doesn't crack at the bolt holes. The flex plate goes against the crank then the torque plate then the bolts. Look to see if it is cupped - if it is then the center should be cupped out away from the crank so that when it is tightened down it will spread the load better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That small piece is meant to spread the torque at the bolt holes so the drive plate (flex plate) doesn't crack at the bolt holes. The flex plate goes against the crank then the torque plate then the bolts. Look to see if it is cupped - if it is then the center should be cupped out away from the crank so that when it is tightened down it will spread the load better.

That's it. Not always used. My replacment flexplate stated not to use it and the ARP bolts stated do not put anything between the heads and the flexplate. But the flexplat I took off had one. I keep it together with the original flexplate in the spare parts bin.

Itsa67

Yep, my 65 Stang has one of those weird plates...only time I had seen or heard of one of those till now.

OP
OP
zbronc

zbronc

Broncobowsher...what kind/brand of flexplate did you use? I just ordered a racing flexplate...i believe it was 3/16th thick and rated to 12500rpms. I may have to leave mine out also.
Thanks for all the info guys.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Broncobowsher...what kind/brand of flexplate did you use? I just ordered a racing flexplate...i believe it was 3/16th thick and rated to 12500rpms. I may have to leave mine out also.
You may not need the reinforcing plate with the heavy gauge flexplate. Sometimes if the flywheel bolt heads stick up too high, they will bite into the converter shell.

:) Use a torque wrench when installing the flexplate. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack

I do not know what I used. One of them may be a B&M. The other, I can't remember.