• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Washer pump Kaput?

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Greetings, I recently had my Early Bronco in for inspection for Utah and it needs a new washer fluid pump (I guess) to make it nice and safe and emissions friendly. Anyhow I have an after market hood on there and I only have the wipers/Motor installed and the fluid tank. I know the motor is there as it was put back during the rebuild but never hooked up.

So I'll need to rig up a hose, etc. for a functioning system. My question is I know the pump worked for awhile but since there is not a complete system I didn't sit around activating it. Now however it doesn't make any noise so I am assuming it needs a new pump (fuse= good)

Does anyone have a schematic and diagram of the pump with the hoses etc. (or ANY info on this system) That I can follow along with. I can't find my Chiltons and need to get it done. I think the Chilton faerie took it back to where they belong after I spilled hot coffee on it so they can find it a more suitable owner. :-[

Thanks in advance

This is my Lil Red Bronco Hmm appears big let me know if I should reduce
IMG_0235.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Greetings & welcome to A Very Damn Good Site. Luv little Red there ;)

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Thank you very much, very nice of you! No wonder I couldn't find my Chiltons it is a Haynes still can't find it but might make it easier if I am looking for the right thing %)

PaulS

Loc.
Greater Seattle area
Check the ground - a couple of years is more than enough time for corrosion to set in. With a volt meter you can check it - see the voltage on the wire from the switch (activated) and the volts on the ground wire with the switch activated. You should see battery volts at the positive and 0 at the negative. If you have more than .5 volts at the negative you have corrosion.
If you have 0 volts and the pump is not running then the pump is bad.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Check the ground - a couple of years is more than enough time for corrosion to set in. With a volt meter you can check it - see the voltage on the wire from the switch (activated) and the volts on the ground wire with the switch activated. You should see battery volts at the positive and 0 at the negative. If you have more than .5 volts at the negative you have corrosion.
If you have 0 volts and the pump is not running then the pump is bad.

PaulS thank you sir. I will do that. warning electrical stuff beyond replacing batteries in a flashlight is hit or miss with me AND most importantly I have a horrible safety record which is why we have no less then 20 first aid kits throughout the house. So if you look towards the Wasatch Mountains in Utah and see a mushroom cloud in next few hours go ahead and assume I did something wrong and won't be back.

Been nice knowing you all for the last hour. Ya'll take good care of the widow ;D

Thanks again gents. I appreciate the fast reply.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Get a good used pump from a wrecking yard. Look for a Ford pickup or van that has a tank with fluid in it. Ford used stainless for the pump shaft. The after market ones that I purchased were mild steel and didn't last very long. The current one from a wrecking yard has been working fine for the last 10 years.

PaulS

Loc.
Greater Seattle area
The ones that I have bought failed when it froze. That was my fault for not using the antifreeze typ of washer fluid.
I have a couple of kits (pump and reservoir) that have stainless shafts and plastic impellers. They work well on the cars I have used them on.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Well the pump is bad and there is a wiring gremlin that I am trying to track down. Like I said I am really bad at this electrical stuff. I got a new motor since I am on a time crunch for the inspection hooked it up and it worked for like 1 second as I was pulled the plug out leading me to believe there is a loose connection in the plug. I wasn't able to duplicate the issue though.

I'll go snag some new wires, etc. and redo it. The wiring is a bit of a patch work so I'll make it a bit nicer and go from there.

I really appreciate the help. I'll check back in if I get it fixed or after I get out of the burn center ;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well the pump is bad and there is a wiring gremlin that I am trying to track down. Like I said I am really bad at this electrical stuff. I got a new motor since I am on a time crunch for the inspection hooked it up and it worked for like 1 second as I was pulled the plug out leading me to believe there is a loose connection in the plug. I wasn't able to duplicate the issue though.

I'll go snag some new wires, etc. and redo it. The wiring is a bit of a patch work so I'll make it a bit nicer and go from there.

I really appreciate the help. I'll check back in if I get it fixed or after I get out of the burn center ;D

Don't feel bad, the electrical crap can be a big PITA..