• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips on modifying the oem 89 5.0 headers, passenger side.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
??? I have a set of the stock oem 89-9? whatever headers and I can't seem to find anyone that can make them work. So I am thinking about cutting the passenger side up and adjusting the outlet so it's easier to get a good clean connection on that side. I am kinda apprehensive about cutting it up though. Any tips from someone that has done this?

Ben

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I took a 'pie cut' wedge out of the short section right next to the flange and rotated the end about 30 degrees and welded er back up. Worked/fit just fine.

for some reason the Mustang headers don't have that short section of single pipe just before the flange...so ya can't do that mod on those. But Crown Vic and others do have it.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks Bill. I assume you mean by "short side" you mean the top side? take a pie cut out and then push the collector back and re-weld? Did you cut the collector completely off the collector before cutting off a pie section? or were you able to leave it attached and just heat and bend the collector back.

Gotta draw me pictures ya know :cool:

Ben

Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Its pretty easy.
Just make sure you weld the center of the 4 pipes back together or you will have a leak between them. If you have a spare head lying around, its a good idea to bolt it up while welding as mine warped a bit. It wasn't bad enough not so seal though. Since each pipe has its own head flange, when you bolt it down, it will flex enough to align properly, as long as you can get the bolts to line up....

Attachments

• DSCN3430.JPG
    DSCN3430.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I saw your post which got me to thinking abut it. Did you cut the collector completely off and then sectioned what was left and then reattached the collector? Don't have a spare head except a GT-40P and that aint going to help. Was there enough metal left or did you have to add some to get it sealed up?

Ben

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I saw your post which got me to thinking abut it. Did you cut the collector completely off and then sectioned what was left and then reattached the collector? Don't have a spare head except a GT-40P and that aint going to help. Was there enough metal left or did you have to add some to get it sealed up?

Ben

I cut the entire collector off (with the sawzall) flush to the upstream side of the flange. I did this because I also wanted to "re-clock" the collector to put the studs in the most convenient place as possible. I then welded all the inner seams of the pipes back together and tacked the collector at the clocking and angle (virtually vertical, maybe 5* downward) I wanted.
Then i cut a pie shaped slice out of a peice of exhaust pipe to fill the gap and welded er in.

Another way you could hold the header in place is drill some holes and bolt it to a 2x4. I should be cloase enough. Like I said, I didnt fixture it at all and it still worked. It did pull the #3 pipe a little cock-eyed but not enough to not seal.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
SAWEET! Thanks thats the kinda of information I hang out here for! Crystal clear too, I beleive I will try the 2x4 method and give it a shot. That pfft pfft is starting to drive me crazy from the small exhaust leak. Not to mention it's causing the EFI to run rich due to the extra unmetered O2.

Ben